Diagnosis
08/2017
Country
CA
State
BC
City
New Westminster
I have watched my craigslist nurse (let's call him Craig) prepare and infuse my Edaravone for about 20 times now. And I know others are planning to get "under the table" infusions done too. So I will describe the procedure for those who may need this information.

First, Craig lays down sterile towels on the table. Then he breaks off the top of two vials and sets them down on the towels. He uses a 5 ml syringe and 18 gauge needle to draw out the medication from the first vial. He inserts the needle into the first 100 ml saline bag and injects the medication. He then unscrews the needle, still inserted in the bag, and screws a new needle on the syringe to draw out the remaining medication from the vial. When the syringe is full, he unscrews the needle and screws it back on to the one still inserted in the bag. This process continues till the medication is mixed into both bags.
That way he only has to make one hole in the insertion port on each bag. The bags are now ready.

He has small saline containers that he inserts the needle into, fills the syringe with saline, and then inserts and fills the butterfly tubing with saline. (The buttefly, 23 gauge, has two wings with a needle, the needle is inserted into a vein and the wings are taped down to hold in place.) This is placed in a basket with the syringe still connected for a few minutes. The IV tubing is inserted/spiked into the first saline solution bag. The bag is hung on the IV pole. The valve on the IV tubing is opened until the solution fills the tube by gravity and then closed.

Craig then puts a tourniquet on my arm and gets me to pump my hand. When my very prominent veins pop up, he choses one and deftly inserts the butterfly that is connected to a syringe full of saline. If successful, when he draws back the syringe the tubing is dark with blood. He disconnects the syringe, and connects it to the IV tubing. He releases the tourniquet and releases the IV valve to start the drip. He messes with the valve to get a slow steady drip that will empty the bag in about a half hour. When the first bag is done, he closes the valve, removes the spike and puts it into the second bag. When that bag is empty, a third plain saline bag is infused to flush the remaining medication in the IV line.

The IV tube can be used three times within 72 hours before being discarded.

I hope this helps as a guide for other Canadians.

I live in OZ and managed to purchase Radicat Edaravone from Amsterdam,
I have 5 treatments to go on first 3 month course.
I am no longer experience joint pain when i wake in morning also no trembling.
However I continue to deteriorate at a rapid rate.
Has anyone else been on the treatment. for a period of time and can share their experience ?

Last edited:
If you use the search function and look up Edaravone or Radicava you will find a few conversations there about effects. Than you for sharing your own experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back