Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Mansfield
Hi everyone, need some advice/suggestions from the group. A little history, I first noticed symptoms in 2013 and after 3 years of doctors, tests and surgeries I was diagnosed Dec 2017 with UMN predominate ALS. We then found out in February of this year that we were expecting our 3rd child, which was a surprise to say the least. Our son was born Oct 9th and is a true blessing but I am struggling with our new reality. I have progressed very slowly and get around pretty good with a cane but I do fall. Because of that, I've been relegated to holding or feeding the baby while seated only - someone has to bring him to me and take him from me. I could do so much more if I could safely transport him from room to room. I've searched online but most results are for parents in PWC's which I am not. Has anyone found something that works for my situation? I do have a rollator that they gave me at the clinic but I don't use it, maybe there's something that could work there? Any help is appreciated.

I wonder if you could somehow securely attach a small Moses basket or even an infant car seat (permanently, so you'd need an extra) to the seat part of a walker? That way you could strap baby in and he'd be safe in case you fell.

I'm so sorry.

If you are a fall risk, then you can't move about with a new baby. You would never forgive yourself if you caused your child a serious head injury. This stage is so fast, and your child will become independently mobile in a blink and you can still be an incredible parent.

You could of course use a pram to transport baby room to room if it is incredible stable and won't go over if you fall?

I would think of the baby first and spend as much time doing things with baby rather than fussing about being the one to move baby about if you can look at it that way.

my walker tipped over with me when I fell on at least three occasions. Please think carefully before you put your baby on it.

How about a small power wheelchair for when you are caring for the baby. My husband had a portable power chair that he used for being out and about even when he could still walk some. It made him more mobile and prevented falls and preserved energy. We bought it ourselves and saved the insurance for the full blown chair when he progressed and needed more support than the portable one could provide.
Just a thought.
Tracy

Im so sorry to hear...

There are mini cribs with wheels. I have one and we still use it quite a bit when we don't want to carry my baby around. She is 10 months old. It's great for the baby to play in as well.

First of all- Congratulations on your new child! With all the worry surrounding wanting to be safe with your baby and trying to find ways to work around mobility issues, I almost overlooked the fact you have welcomed a new member of your family.

Are you under the care of an ALS clinic? Is there a way for you to get an occupational therapist familiar with ALS to assess your home and abilities and provide possible solutions? Many people with mobility/strength and balance issues are able to care for babies and children provided they have the support and equipment to do so.

Our daughter was born two weeks after my diagnosis. At that time I had already lost the use of my hands. I had to settle with holding her while sitting in an armchair. No problem at all. After five years she is completely cool with my condition and we have our own things and secrets just like any dad and daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back