Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Nashville
My wife is in a fairly late stage of ALS; no limb movement, speech very hard to understand entered home hospice care, vial capcity now in 20s-30s (I have a blog entry explaining more). She drinks water constantly, day and night, and for this reason spends most of her time soaked. Despite a towel and plastic apron attached by a napkin holder, she dribbles water on her shirt; she is too scared to use the bathroom often enough so soaks through her diaper and then pants; she soaks the bed at night. This cannot be good for her

I have not seen this symptom in any description of ALS. My theory is that the drinking is her form of self-comfort; she adamantly refuses anti-anxiety meds due to a bad reaction to prescribed Zoloft. Any similar experiences, explanations, or recommendations?

My wife accepted a catheter to pee into.

I can only offer virtual comfort and hugs, and an opinion-you mentioned "self-comfort" and that your wife doesn't take anxiety meds. I wonder if this compulsive water drinking is an expression of that anxiety?
I know I have taken to doing silly little things just because I still can, over and over.

Wishing you, and her, some peace.

Excessive thirst can be related to certain other medical conditions like diabetes. Do her doctors know about it? It's hard to post links on this forum but if you google polydipsia you'll see some of the things that can cause it.

Exactly my thinking; I was wondering if I was missing some other explanation. Additional for Kristina1 her doctors do know; she is in the study of the drug tirasemtiv so is tested constantly, and they told me that there was no indicator of any reason in the bloodwork. She is going in for a renal exam later this month, but that is more for her loss of bladder control which started before the excessive drinking, and the doctor said this is usually not a part of ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back