Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
Mayo found a glycine receptor antibody so I'm starting IVIG to see if I respond.

However.

Frankly? One of my calves (on the weak leg) has atrophy. It's flat and slack. (My neuro has seen this and gave me an EMG. It was clean.)

My foot is my biggest weakness -drop foot. But the inside curve is now hollowing out. It is noticeably different than the left. Haven't shown the neuro yet.

PLS doesn't have atrophy, does it? Isn't that distinctive of ALS? My understanding is that Stiff Persons doesn't have atrophy either.

I'm about over this being sick stuff. If it ends up ALS it'll have been crazy slow. I'm at 13 months since seeing a doc for the first time.

What I've been told is that spastic muscles can overwhelm or prevent balanced muscle engagement- so sometimes surrounding muscles atrophy due to lack of use and not due to a LMN issue.

Are you completely unable to engage your calf? I'd visit with a physio with neuro expertise to see if it's something that can be stretched and gently strengthened.

A whole calf becoming slack seems a bit much though. I'd visit with your doctor again to show them the additional changes to see if there's cause for concern.

I wish you the best results with your IVIG. And, I hear you with regards to your condition. It really takes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back