Reason
DX MND
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Port Macquarie
I have recently been diagnosed with anterior horn cell disease.
Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? Information about this has difficult to find, can anyone recommend any sites?

The anterior (or ventral) horns refer to the part of the spinal cord where the motor neurons course downward from the brain, eventually on to the muscles they control. When they go though the anterior horns, these neurons are referred to as lower motor neurons.

So anterior horn cell disease includes ALS (which also involves the lateral corticospinal tracts in addition to the anterior horns), progressive muscle atrophy, and any other motor neuron disease which has lower motor neuron involvement. Pure lateral sclerosis is an upper motor neuron disease without anterior horn cell involvement and would not be in this category. Interestingly, polio might also technically be considered an anterior horn cell disease but is not lumped in to the motor neuron disease group.

Since ALS and other motor neuron diseases are diagnosed by a variety of clinical criteria, including the EMG, the person reading the EMG might refer to “evidence of anterior horn cell disease”. To diagnose ALS, these EMG findings would need to present along with other clinical features of upper and lower motor neuron disease on exam and ruling out other clinical conditions.

I thought I would chime in and add to Karen's thoughts that while some neuros think differently, others will NOT diagnose ALS without both upper and lower motor neuron involvement confirmed. There are other possibilities, most none to pleasant but generally with a better prognosis than ALS, or at least a longer survival time so they do a wait and see.

Sorry for the limbo land of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back