Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
It appears that Matt has stopped tipping his chair over, but this is the second time that he’s managed to drive his tire over the edge of our aluminum ramp.

I got him back over the first time with a shovel—this time I called EMS.

They call him their buddy—they know the house.

So, even though there is a little lip on the bottom the the ramp, these PWCs CAN drive right over it and get you stuck.

Attachments

• 77F2BE6B-CFB9-4C0F-986C-A7FD2AC48AE2.jpg
    77F2BE6B-CFB9-4C0F-986C-A7FD2AC48AE2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 390
I can certainly relate;). I am glad the EMS folks are able to help in such situations.

I usually get the wheelchair stuck deep in the backcountry. Fortunately, kind folks have always showed up to help get me unstuck.

Of course, they offer to help before the know how much the wheelchair weights:).

Steve

Thanks for the tip Nuts. My PALS is pretty apprehensive & timid with his chair & I am usually in front of him to help guide him to ease his concern. Matt looks kinda bemused in that picture!

Mud. Took 2 big men to get him out - with tires spinning and spewing both water and mud all over. He did this twice in one day.

When we went back to the hotel - we were visiting DD at college, I had to have the front desk clerk come out with me to see this when after I said I needed help cleaning DH's wheelchair he handed me a small towel. Hoses got most of it, but just last week I found a dried chunk wedged under something. The visit was in April. :p

Attachments

• 17626384_10208879493726260_1973020926793255425_n.jpg
    17626384_10208879493726260_1973020926793255425_n.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 189
Great picture, Jrzygrl! Twice in one day — ARGH!!!! I’ve had to use the hose more times than I can count—a sense of humor sure helps!!

Buckhorn, Matt is anything but timid—I’m ready at all times to grab control with the attendent control—If I’m close enough!

Steve, you are awesome!! I have to remember when I call EMS to tell them how heavy the chair is, otherwise they expect to find a push chair :). My biggest concern is being there to stop them from trying to lift him out of the chair without a sling of some sort—tugging on his limbs is a no go any more.

Becky

I have had my wheels go over the edge of my ramps. We solved the problem by attaching 1" thick x 4" high wood side rails. Works great.

I have had my wheels go over the edge of my ramps. We solved the problem by attaching 1" thick x 4" high wood side rails. Works great.

Good idea.......the wood guides could easily be mounted to a steel or wooden ramp.;)

Matt's looking good in that picture. He has good color and looks like he's ready for another adventure!

Agree with Kim, he looks good! You always have the practical advice, good post :)

Mark, the EMTs mentioned that idea (the wood), but we have a very, very long ramp (it was easier to bridge than go down one set of stairs and up another to get to the driveway).

Kim, he does look good, doesn’t he? I was recently looking at pictures from the year before he was diagnosed. He had lost a lot of weight and was happy about it. I was concerned, because I knew he wasn’t cutting that far back on his eating. Looking back now, he looked sick. His face looks much better now that the weight is back on.

Yep, he’s still a fireball (just fewer hours a day). He turns 60 next month and I’ve dropped plans for a surprise dinner out and am instead doing a 3 hour open house so that friends and neighbors can pop in, share some food and drink, and wish him happy birthday. His buddy from Colorado is coming out (both birthdays are the same week), as is his dad, so he’s looking forward to entertaining.

That sounds like a good time and I hope everyone else does the cooking!

Becky, what a great idea ....... an open house in honor of Matt's birthday! I may copy you on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back