Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Fort Pierce
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 10/2008
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
calypso45 is on a distinguished road
Default Foot plates on PWC

I would like to know if you use a PWC if you have power foot plates? My PWC has manual foot plates which require me to lean over and manually fold them so I can transfer from the PWC to bed, toilet etc. Its becoming more difficult for me and I'm afraid I could roll out of chair and the strength in my hands is deteriorating.

My doctor recommended I go to power foot plates but insurance denied. Reason: Power foot plates do not serve a medical function.

I would love to here how others deal with foot plates.
Thanks,
Calypso
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foot plates on PWC

Calypso, this is a two-part answer. You may not get many responses because most MND patients who are in a PWC don't have your range of motion, so there is limited experience with your issue.

To avoid falling out but keep maximum leverage for reaching while you still have strength to fold the plates, you might consider something called an Evoflex® across your hips or mid-thighs, with a Rehab Latch™ ["low force"] buckle. It's a padded support with stiff straps that can pivot out of the way for transfers. Your DME or a friend can order/install it. Commercial disclaimer: My employer makes them. Insurance will reimburse for it, and it is useful beyond this particular problem.

But if your hands are getting worse, ultimately, you will not be able to transfer on your own -- are you planning for that? How do you transfer now?

Best,
Laurie
Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Victoria
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
LizF is on a very distinguished road

City: Victoria
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2016
LizF is on a very distinguished road

I'm so sorry to hear your insurance denied them. I had regular foot plates on my other chair, and found it easier to remove the legs than to lean over and flip the foot plates-heavier, but less chance of falling.
Have you tried using a grab stick to pull them up? Probably too heavy...
Do your chair legs swing out?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:56 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really niceVincent is just really nice

I have used a 2" strap attached to the foot plates and the seat pan with a "d" ring to lift my foot plate. Low tech but it has worked for the past 2 years.
Vincent
Thanks from
affected (10-14-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:26 PM #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback. Laurie I am going to look into the Evoflex you mentioned. If that isn't feasible maybe my husband can install D-ring and drill thru the foot plate an attach it. Thanks Vincent!

Currently I still have strength in my legs. I hold onto grab bars in the bathroom and bed rail getting in and out of bed. When that goes plan B not sure what that is yet. One day at a time.
Thanks again,
Calypso
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM #6 (permalink)

City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road
City: Iowa City
State: Iowa
Diagnosed: 11/2015
Statius@ is on a very distinguished road

I probably have more arm strength than some respondents or the OP, but I use the handle of my cane to pull them up. Low tech, but it works for now.

Ed
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, chair, foot, insurance, love, manual, medical, power, pwc, transfer