Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
I would like to know if you use a PWC if you have power foot plates? My PWC has manual foot plates which require me to lean over and manually fold them so I can transfer from the PWC to bed, toilet etc. Its becoming more difficult for me and I'm afraid I could roll out of chair and the strength in my hands is deteriorating.

My doctor recommended I go to power foot plates but insurance denied. Reason: Power foot plates do not serve a medical function.

I would love to here how others deal with foot plates.
Thanks,
Calypso

Calypso, this is a two-part answer. You may not get many responses because most MND patients who are in a PWC don't have your range of motion, so there is limited experience with your issue.

To avoid falling out but keep maximum leverage for reaching while you still have strength to fold the plates, you might consider something called an Evoflex® across your hips or mid-thighs, with a Rehab Latch™ ["low force"] buckle. It's a padded support with stiff straps that can pivot out of the way for transfers. Your DME or a friend can order/install it. Commercial disclaimer: My employer makes them. Insurance will reimburse for it, and it is useful beyond this particular problem.

But if your hands are getting worse, ultimately, you will not be able to transfer on your own -- are you planning for that? How do you transfer now?

Best,
Laurie

I'm so sorry to hear your insurance denied them. I had regular foot plates on my other chair, and found it easier to remove the legs than to lean over and flip the foot plates-heavier, but less chance of falling.
Have you tried using a grab stick to pull them up? Probably too heavy...
Do your chair legs swing out?

I have used a 2" strap attached to the foot plates and the seat pan with a "d" ring to lift my foot plate. Low tech but it has worked for the past 2 years.
Vincent

Thanks for all the feedback. Laurie I am going to look into the Evoflex you mentioned. If that isn't feasible maybe my husband can install D-ring and drill thru the foot plate an attach it. Thanks Vincent!

Currently I still have strength in my legs. I hold onto grab bars in the bathroom and bed rail getting in and out of bed. When that goes plan B not sure what that is yet. One day at a time.
Thanks again,
Calypso

I probably have more arm strength than some respondents or the OP, but I use the handle of my cane to pull them up. Low tech, but it works for now.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back