Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San Diego
I last saw my doctor In June and I'm not scheduled to see him again until October. Is this typical?
Sue

Depends on so many things you didn't mention:
- How fast is your progression?
- What is your current level of capability? ( BiPAP, CO2 retention, still walking, etc)
- What were your last medical findings, anything new that requires monitoring?
- How frequent were your previous appointments?

and so on..

Once a quarter is not unusual, but you should feel free to make an appointment whenever you think there is need -- more or less often based on the changes Greg mentioned.

And you aren't restricted to an ALS clinic. You can see any medical professional [in network, if you want reimbursement] any time, and many PALS get most or all of their care from a primary care doc.

My progression seems to be slow, and I am having clinic visits every 3-4 months right now. I was diagnosed same month as you, so I have only had 2 full clinic visits, but I had a "half visit" (just neuro, not breathing or rest of the clinic stuff) between my first and second clinics to just check in and discuss clinical trials.

3 months seems to be standard in my clinic but I have also been given 2 and 6 month intervals depending on what is happening with me. Whatever interval is stated the actual appointment is usually a little longer interval ( 4 months for the 3 month one) because of scheduling.

As Laurie said I know I can call in the interim with questions but also I can schedule appointments with the nurse practitioner usually for the next week if I want to be seen

Last edited:
At first I started going to the clinic every month, now I go every six months.

Thank you everyone. I feel better now.
Sue

I just go "as needed." My local neuro prescribed the Trilogy and wheelchair and I see him every other month. He is very open to alternative therapies and writes for any blood work I ask. I bought a spirometer and equipment that measures SNIP, MaxI and MaxE so I really see no need to go to clinic unless there is a clinical trial or something that I'm interested in. I can communicate with my clinic neuro via e-mail. My local doctors take good care of me.

I saw my doctor once, that was enough

he said I have ALS, I said " I want a 2nd opinion ", he said " you're ugly too " - Pat

Once I had my dx, and a second opinion, I was kind of left hanging with no more neurology appointments and no clinic visits. My GP (family doctor) is who I see for various things as needed, and our local regional health authority provides a Occupational Therapist who works with the provincial ALS society to provide me with equipment. :)

I loved Pat's answer! Actually LOL'd
I go to clinic every 4 months or so. Can call if there's a problem.

I go to the clinic, pulmonalogist, neurologist and primary every six months. Anytime if I need anything.

It seems like they both are far off in appointments. Even with the ALS clinic. Although the clinic is on top of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back