Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
My avaps was traded for a trilogy last week and I hate it. 6 bad nights of sleep. Feels like it's breathing too fast. Also hate hate the cycle of pulsating during exhale . Does this continue and I just have to get used to it. D IMG_2131.jpg oes diameter of tube matter.

Resp. Therapist coming out tomorrow. Any suggestions.

No, you do not!

The trigger sensitivity can be reduced so new breaths do not start as quickly, and/or the cycle sensitivity can be reduced so you get more inhalation time before the lower exhalation pressure kicks in. If you tell me what these currently are, I can suggest the next step.

The pulsating most often means that the EPAP (usually all you need is 4 but you are on the AVAPS-AE mode, which varies the EPAP, usually for no reason) and/or AVAPS rate should be reduced.

Another option which is kind of going the other way is to set "Trigger type" to "Auto trak" if it is not, to address the pulsing.

There are a lot of adjustments that can be tried. You breathe differently at night than you do in the daytime, so if it is possible, see if you can get a night-time visit by the RT, or an early morning visit while you're still in bed. If someone in your house knows how to follow instructions on how to manipulate the settings, an RT who will not visit at night might still get on the phone to help. This was a big challenge for us, but we managed to find the right settings eventually.

Does this help, Laurie?[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_7902.jpg
    IMG_7902.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 980
I had the same pulsating during exhalation. It drove me nuts! It always began after about five minutes. I raised one of the settings up a couple and it was fine. I can't remember which one it was. Laurie will know!

That is not the settings, just a snapshot of the speedometer, if you will. Did you ask the RT to write them down? Or just scroll through them. What happened with the RT? If you know how to change things, like I said, I'd start with checking the trigger type and changing it to auto-trak if it's not, or reducing the AVAPS rate or EPAP. Also, your target volume may well be too high. If you can post the settings and your height, we can sort the plan of attack.

RT will come tomorrow. I will get settings. Thanks for your help

RT brought back avap which we now own after over 13 months renting. Slept ALL night! He says settings are identical so don't understand why they feel so different.

Set up trilogy for daytime use on my chair. Trying out sip and puff and it's giving me more ability to talk with more volume and say more than two words at a time. Does this sip puff have to continuously blow air or is there a setting where it only blows as needed ?

Last edited:
Yes, you can turn off the backup rate and target volume when you use sip and puff so the only rhythm is yours. Use S mode with the highest trigger sensitivity.

To make sure there's no delay when you need a breath, it's best to keep it on and not try to have the flow only come on when you make an effort. If you're using a 15mm angled mouthpiece, there shouldn't be a lot of noise when you're not breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back