Reason
Other
Country
FIN
State
Finland
City
Finland
Hello there! I tried searching for something similar than this but could not find a topic.

I was working as a personal assistant for someone who had ALS.

Shortly after I stopped working with this person, I got this post nasal drip. I went to a private practitioner beginning of this year because it had lasted so long.

Physically my nose & throat were okay.
Throat swap was taken, nothing was found.
Allergies haven't been tested yet. Private practitioner told to try allergy nasal sprays without any information if I even had allergies.

Respirator filters were used by caretakers but not always. So I didn't use them always either. Maybe it was a mistake.

So, does anyone have similar experience?
Are there some contagious diseases that come with ALS?
Caretakers with post nasal drip that has come up when being around someone with ALS?

Thank you very much!

Post Nasal Drip is not even a symptom of ALS...

LOTS of people without ALS have Post Nasal Drip. I do when my allergies are bad. Don't you think that you might have gotten it from someone else besides a PALS if it is a contagious disease? Or, maybe you just have allergies like was suggested to you? Lot's of people have seasonal allergies and use allergy spray without being tested for allergies.

Hi Samuel! You may notice from the info at the left that I'm one of those disease ridden pALS.

Let me first note that ALS, like similar neurologic diseases, cancer, and an endless list of others, does NOT come as a package deal with contagious diseases.

However, just like REAL HEALTHY people, we can get colds! Go figger!

So, pay attention now! The following does not reflect the views of either the owner of this forum or the other people who administer it.

Your question was ignorant. That by itself is fine, as ignorance is cured by knowledge. And you received that above.

No, the problem is that your question is also stupid and insulting!
You should be working nowhere near people and you sure as hell shouldn't be anywhere near critical care patients.

Could I suggest construction or auto mechanic?

oh, btw, since you went to the effort to see a 'private practioner', you should have asked THEN, and saved us the aggravition!

Last edited:
Samuel, taking you at face value, though I'm not sure I should, why was anyone masked around a PALS? ALS is not communicable.

Last edited:
Hey,

soonerwife: I understand that. As it started just around when I was a caretaker I started think about the connection. Private practitioner of course told als is not contagious.

GregK: I didn't mean to be come off as rude, I am sorry.

Igelb: Caretakers were masked, because this person with als had some respiratory infection / lung infection. Have no further information about that.

I will no longer write here. I am sorry.

I will no longer write here. I am sorry.

No, don't do that, just be a bit more thoughtful in posing your questions.

There is a great deal of information for caregivers. Both you and your pALS could benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back