Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I had a peg tube placed one month ago. I've dealt with an infection and pain that lasted for three weeks. For now I'm not using the peg except for flushing with water twice daily.

My question is.. have any of you felt the cool water in your throat when flushing/feeding.

Thank you,
CarolSue

I had a peg tube placed one month ago. I've dealt with an infection and pain that lasted for three weeks. For now I'm not using the peg except for flushing with water twice daily.

My question is.. have any of you felt the cool water in your throat when flushing/feeding.

Thank you,
CarolSue

Sorry it is giving you a rough time. I had mine put in 6 weeks ago and no issues what so ever. In respond to your question re throat......absolutely. It's a pretty weird thing.

Same here on the cool water. I try to lay out with my belly in the sun for about 10 minutes a day to keep the peg tube area clean. I have always found sunlight to promote healing and the uv rays disinfect.

At night i put the bandage on and wear a tight tank top to bed which keeps me from pulling out the tube.

CarolSue do you flush with cold or warm water?

I flush with room temperature bottled water. Very weird feeling. I can feel the cool sensation in my throat and chest. Peg is a lot higher than I thought it would be
Right under my breast. So no more underwire bra������

Thanks CarolSue - are you sitting upright or when you have the flush?
Also do you flush fast with a plunger or do you just let it gravity in?

Room temp water would feel cool to the inside of your stomach I am guessing.

I'm a little intrigued if you can feel it up to the throat however, and Chris complained of many things regarding the peg but never this one, hence lots of questions :)

Did they indicate the peg would be placed lower than it was? I know many people don't realise how high the stomach actually sits. I agree no underwires!

Tillie gravity feed and generally I'm on a 30 ° angle. No they didn't indicate it would be lower. I was shown the whole set up on a doll at clinic.

I have the same issue with stuff going up as well. I have had reflux for years, and I guess it's related to that. It isn't harmful, just annoying. As far as the infection goes, just soak a drain sponge with saline, and let it sit on the stoma for 15 minutes 2x a day. No creams, ointments or the like. I also wear a dry drain sponge all day. It absorbs any fluid and keeps the area dry. Hope that helps.

Vincent

The sensation of the cool water in your throat doesn't necessarily mean the feeding tube isn't in place. I feel it too, and it seems to be a referred or reflex sensation. It would seem to make sense that the nerves between the stomach and throat could transmit cold sensation. It would be similar to feeling pain in your forehead when eating or drinking something cold too quickly.

The sensation of the cool water in your throat doesn't necessarily mean the feeding tube isn't in place. I feel it too, and it seems to be a referred or reflex sensation. It would seem to make sense that the nerves between the stomach and throat could transmit cold sensation. It would be similar to feeling pain in your forehead when eating or drinking something cold too quickly.

This is my thought as well!

I don't always get it but it's a treat for me when i do because i no longer can take anything by mouth. Makes it seem like i just finished a glass of water. It's a great feeling, brings back some happy memories.

I get the idea of a referred sensation - so strange though! At least by asking lots have reported the same thing and you know what is normal. I think that was a huge thing for me when I was caring for Chris - finding out was normal because the health profession sure didn't give much clue to us!

I get the same feeling, but sometimes I get it in my shoulder, it almost makes me laugh it feels so strange. CarolSue maybe you should try the syringe, I find it lot faster an much more convenient.
Al

Can I ask, exactly how high is it placed? It's still under your rib cage right? Not through/between any ribs? I have my first consult with the GI clinic for a feeding tube on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back