Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
OR
City
Hillsboro
I have a fissure from a bad bout of constipation that isn't healing and I am now scheduled for surgery. The surgeon wants to use general anesthesia. Have any fellow PALS had any experience with general anesthesia and suggestions?

The surgeon also suggested that I might want to do a colostomy at the same time as the surgery weakens the involuntary sphincter and the voluntary ones weaken with ALS. I am trying to decide if this is something I should do. Thoughts from fellow PALS and caregivers? I am thinking that ad the disease progresses this might be easier in the long run.

My sister with very poor breathing had emergent surgery and did ok with general. I think it helped that everyone consulted beforehand- surgeon, neuro, pulmo, anesthesia and intensivist.

I can see pros with a colostomy for sure. It is not that much work to care for really. My dad had one ( not for ALS). You eliminate the need for that transfer plus it should be easier to manage bowel issues. Sometimes I think limb onset PALS should get that and suprapubic catheter for convenience!

My mother had colon cancer and had a colostomy bag for over a year. I paid out of pocket and bought them by bulk so I could throw them out and not worry about cleaning them. Cut time down from 20 minutes to less than 2 minutes. That was nearly 30 years ago so they probably have disposable ones now.

Nikki, I've thought about the suprapubic catheter as well since it's less likely to get infected and more convenient. I don't think I'd ever get a regular catheter. This is one area that men have it a whole lot easier.

Surgery was yesterday. My Neuro convinced them to do a spinal instead of GA. His concern based on my lung function was that extubation ran a risk of having to do a trach if my lungs didn't perform well after being intubated. Spinal worked well though they had to do the colostomy up high intercepting the transverse colon in order to avoid a midline incision for which the spinal would not fully numb. All worked out. I had an excellent surgeon.

I am glad things went well. Wishing you speedy healing

Great news, hope you recover quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back