when does tripping or falling become concerning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina1

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Sorry if this is a silly question. I have tripped over the door frame thing (it's a small raised metal frame thingy) a few times this week. Then today I fell down the stairs and skinned my arm. I don't know what happened. I didn't notice myself trip or anything like that I just suddenly was falling.

But I walk fine, and at the ALS Clinic a few weeks ago the neuro noted my muscle weakness in my UPPER leg, but said lower legs were okay. I thought falling happened due to lower leg/ankle weakness.

She did say I have low tone in my legs and I know what she means. They are very floppy and feels like jello when I'm trying to go down stairs. Maybe that's why I fell?

If you are falling it is concerning. Every visit I have they ask about falls and if any the circumstances surrounding them. Falls can really accelerate things so take whatever measures needed to address this. The classic reason for tripping is foot drop but if your thigh is not bringing up your leg properly that would do it too. Falling down the stairs is particularly scary. Call the clinic and ask to talk to PT. Don't risk getting hurt. Please. figure out how to prevent this before something serious happens

Last edited:
Okay, I will ask. Luckily I was already half way down when I fell so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was scary.

I may also need to rethink my footwear. I have been wearing slip on sandals because it is hard to tie my shoes, but the sandals are not as sturdy and might be problematic for walking as safely as possible.

I always harp on this one I know - it is concerning NOW.

Too many PALS end up with serious injuries they never fully recover from, and too many PALS die in falls.

Please realise this is your lucky warning and don't feel like you should be better, or should try harder or any of these things. What is happening to you is this monster and it is out of your control.

Nikki gives excellent advice, get evaluated right now and see it as taking some control back.

Couple things you could think about.....elastic shoe laces and elastic loops that go thru your lace holes in the shoes.

If you are falling its a problem. Your body will not heal the way you would expect...it will not be quick, if ever depending on the injury. As Nikki and Tillie said, it also seems to speed up progression. Using a walker, staying on one floor, or a stair lift might be options to consider.

Also, it is now time to ponder your home. Stairs will sooner or later become impossible. We were in a three level split. At the ALS Clinic we were cautioned that stair lifts are limited to about six months of use. Then PALS get too fatigued with the transfers.
We looked and found a single level home and all the interior doors are wide enough for a power wheelchair. Moving was the best decision for us.

Bruce

Sorry to hear, Kristina. I've had a couple trip-falls over the past couple months, but I had a really scary one last Thursday. Nailed my head on the sidewalk. I don't even remember falling, so I don't know what happened. Maybe my legs got twisted? Fortunately only a mild concussion and I'm feeling almost back to "normal." I'm getting in touch with my neurologist tomorrow. I hope you can find a workable solution for now.

I found wearing the right type of shoes makes it less likely I will trip. I love my running shoes but I twisted my ankle several times in them. The shoes that work best for me, at this time, are sketcher slip ons. I put thick socks so they are tight and stable. They are low with a wide bottom and seem to stabilize my ankle. I'm not sure what I'll do next but, for now, I found something that helps.

I'm very careful on stairs.

In hindsight, I should have been concerned about falling before I started falling.

I broke a bone in my first fall as well as in my second fall. I had no idea I was at risk of falling when I fell. I felt very secure.

Since you are already tripping and have already fallen, I encourage you to be concerned. Take action to prevent future falls. You will not recover from injury as quickly as you used to (and perhaps not completely).

My solution was to start using assistive devices. I started using a cane and quickly moved on to a wheelchair. I still walk short distances with the cane and live in a 3 level house. I can do the stairs carefully, but know the day is coming that no amount of care will prevent me from falling on the stairs.

Steve

Do you have banister rails on both sides of your stairs? I found it very helpful. Depending on how strong your arms are it can help with stability and balance when you are going up and down. I was a bit paranoid on the stairs and switched to a stairlift as soon as I felt unsure with the double rails.

Having the equipment in early can help you maintain independence for as long as possible. No solution lasts forever with this illness but why struggle and feel unsafe if you don't have to.

Wendy

Thank you for all the feedback. We have already started looking to see what single level/ranch style homes are for sale or rent in our area. The answer is "almost none" it seems, but we will keep looking. Our stairs have a railing only on one side, but I sometimes use both hands on that single railing and go down side-ways if that makes sense. This time I was holding my 4 year old's hand to lead him (and therefore not holding the railing) when I fell, and I think that may be part of the reason I fell since usually I am careful to use the railing. I definitely won't do that again because I could have injured him in addition to myself and I got lucky that he caught himself on the stair and didn't fall with me. I'm seeing my neuro on Thursday so I will tell her about this and ask for a PT referral.

Look as well for homes with the master bedroom on the main floor. That is what we found two bedrooms on the main floor one upstairs. The house we found needed work but we were able to widen doorways, rip out carpet to put in wood, and make the bath handicap accessible.

On falls, when I broke my foot in January, the doctor advised that as your muscles weaken your bones become more fragile. Consequently falling is something to try not to do. Take measures to prevent falls and eliminate trip hazzards. My biggest trip hazzard is my husband's shoes. With a four year old you are going to have to keep an eye out for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back