Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Is anyone here who has used, or is using, Metoclopramide for gut motility issues? If so, what has been your experience? Has it affected your spasticity one way or another? Did it give you twitches, further involuntary movements or chorea? Anyone achieved success with it? I admit, I'm worried about the side effects, but my doc would like me to give it a try.

Thank you for any advice or feedback either way-

Fiona

The most worrisome possibility is the risk of developing tardive dyskinesia, which would be a living hell. I have heard only heavy users have acquired this problem, but I'm not a doctor and have no idea whether you would be at risk for this based on the dose your doctor is proposing, but you might want to get a second opinion before starting a drug that has caused such a severe condition in some patients.

Thanks, Dave. This will be a brief session with a low dose to see if it helps- and Benztropine will also be taken with it to manage the potential dyskinesia. I am (very!) aware of the risks, but the doctor is weighing the balance between the health problems that arise from low/slow gut motility and potential involuntary movement. I was hoping others with spasticity and who have taken this drug could provide some feedback, but it appears it's an uncommon treatment. Though I do notice that many here over the years have experienced gi issues.

I am unfortunate in that I have often respond to drugs in such a way that proves opposite to the goal intended. Sometimes it can be beneficial, but other times it's immediately noticeable that the symptoms I am trying to target become measurably worse- Baclofen being my most spectacular failure so far.

Thanks again

When I had pancreatitus, they gave me Metoclopramide (brand name Maxeran) my left side of my body started getting very spastic. During the ambulance transfer, from one hospital to another, they were giving it by IV, and the dose delivered in 5 minutes, instead of one hour(?). I went through an evening of hell. They then gave it to me orally I was so fearful of another bad reaction, I spit it in the garbage. They even wrote a script for it for me, and I have a whole bottle, never took a single one. I refuse to take it! I am one that had a bad experience with it.

Shiftkicker, for slow motility (I have severe gastroparesis), I am on Domperidone and recently added Resotran. I also take Restoralax and when things get very slow, OTC 30 ml lactulose (as needed) really cleans things out for me. I been on proton pump inhibitors for years and I recently read they interfere with absorption of crucial electrolytes and nutrients. My potassium and magnesium is always low and I have to take daily supplements of them, as well as Complex -B vitamens, fish oil and vitamen E with probiotic acidophilosus. (sp?.)

Last edited:
Thank you! That's very helpful. That must have been an incredibly frightening experience. I am glad you recovered from it. And I am very sorry to hear you had pancreatitis on top of everything else. I wish you well, friend.

I have been taking a half tablet daily (1/8 of what the doctor originally prescribed) and another drug (Benztropine) to mitigate any movement issues, and it's worked a little bit. I am just too afraid of the permanent side effects to increase the dose to full efficiency. I appreciate the mention of alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back