Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
IND
State
Karnataka
City
Bangalore
Male patient aged 35 with history of dysarthria, dysphagia and nasal regurgitation of fluids since a year now presents with stiffness of right arm and cramping of legs with diffused muscle twitches and 4-5 month history of weakness both hands and excessive laughter (emotional incontinence) no radicular pains, sensory loss or sphincter disturbances. Bilateral brisk tendon reflexes with extensor plantar responses.

EMG impression shows:
Normal background sensory NCVs.
Diffuse LMN changes in bulbar and all limb muscles, comprising fibrillations, PSWs and fasciculations with chronic denervation and reinnervation, collectively suggestive of bulbar and multiple spinal segmental anterior horn cell disease (AHCD).
what is the treatment and prognosis?

Did the neurologist not give you a diagnosis with all those results and explain the disease to your PALS?

There is no cure but if you read here there are many supportive therapies and a drug called riluzole that may slow progression.

I'm very sorry for this diagnosis.

This does read like ALS, but as Tillie says, you should have received confirmation of this or another variant. I would suggest contacting the Indian MND Association for support if you have not.

jrakshya, is this Thread pertaining to your family member or is it from a like scholarly neurological case study of his/her medical records?

The reason I ask... with this presentation I'd be aback that the Neurologist left you/him/her without a treatment and prognosis consultation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back