Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I'm desperate! I have a history of laryngospasms since my ALS started. So for the last couple months I've been getting tickles in my throat that instead of causing me to cough they cause me to have a gagging fit that lasts until I can get a drink of soda. the gagging fits feel like they are on the verge of turning into a laryngospasm but again I can drink pop until it subsides.

Here's the problem. I'm scheduled for the peg surgery on Tuesday. I can't have anything to DRINK after midnight the night before and I've been told there will be nothing by mouth for a while after the surgery too. I'm scared to death. I hadn't had a major spasm in a few months but had one during the night last night. I will have the surgery with sedation only and they will be using a scope that goes down my throat via my nose. I'm convinced that will also cause a spasm. Any advice...I'm consumed with this and need help. I've also notified thee ALS nurse who is coordinating the surgery with KU Med Center Hospital and surgeon.

Freaking out!!
Carolsue

CarolSue - what is your biggest fear?

The very worst scenario with a laryngospasm is that you faint. If that happens the larynx relaxes and you are fine.

Most people find that the critical thing is to stay calm and breathe through your nose, slowly. Close your eyes if that helps you focus on being calm.

You could ask for some clonazepam to get you through the anxiety over that 24 hours as well. You place it as drops under the tongue and it works very fast.

You can also ask if you can suck a small ice chip, as that may be allowed.

Honestly, as scary as they are, they are not fatal and you can get through this with some help. It's great that you have spoken up rather than suffered such fear xxx

I was also terrified of having the tube
down my throat causing damage. It hurt a great deal after but nothing us tough warriors can't handle!!
so? Glad I did it.

not as bad as I expected, good luck!

Hi CarolSue,

I can understand your concern. I'm curious if an interventional radiology option was mentioned to you? And did you personally meet with the surgeon to discuss this?

At any rate, I would make sure that the anesthesiologist who will be on your case is aware. I would not take a benzo on your own hook prior to sedation since that could cause respiratory depression. The best defense against complications is everyone's being on the same page, who will be in the room.

Best,
Laurie

Btw, they allowed me sips of clear liquid up to 5am before 10am procedure, so you could ask if that's ok. I really was frightened like you are about throat and breathing issues, but my neuro, surgeon and anesthesia team worked closely together to monitor the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back