Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I'm losing some muscles around and above my left knee. I'm having some difficulty going up stairs, and having knee pain from walking. If I have to walk more than a short distance I end up favoring my right leg. Are there any tools that might help with this? Should I look for a knee brace or something?

Do you attend a clinic?
A physio can help you with what will work best for you.

Do you attend a clinic?
A physio can help you with what will work best for you.

Yes, but is this something where you just wait for your next clinic visit, even if that is weeks away, or should I call them about it?

I asked over the phone for an afo. I thought I needed to see PT but I was recommended directly to the extremely expert orthotist. Email me if you want a name in Boston

Oh yes I would phone and get it looked into straight away!

Hello Kristina, of you have a lot of stairs in your home it may be time to start looking at a stair lift. I got one after one fall, and I now feel safe on the stairs.
Al

So far as the stairs go - are these in your home or when you encounter stairs when out?

At home. All the bedrooms are on the second floor.

Did you have any luck getting in touch with an OT?

I would get a home assessment as you may need to really look at what long term strategies are going to be best for you if you stay in this house and need to rearrange downstairs as you won't be able to get up the stairs at some point. You will also need to think about how a PWC will get around in the house - doors may need to be widened.

The more you can figure out early the better prepared you can be, and some things take time as well.

Please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back