Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Hamilton
:confused:

Hello All,

I am a caregiver for a close friend with ALS. We are late in the stages of it, and it really seems to be moving quickly. New things every day...

My PALS is home with close friends spread around the clock to assist with the ability to stay home.

The atrophy is really effecting his capability with walking, and we're just before the legs muscles go.... He is a constant fall hazard. He stubbornly still uses his walker with guidance to get to where he is headed, (bathroom etc) however, we're getting ready to plan for the next major loss...mobility.

We have our tilt ALS wheel chair, and we're even implementing it now just to be ready for when its our major way of mobility.

Something that we're running into is his comfort with STANDING to cough. I understand he won't be able to do this forever, however he is still choosing to vertically stand to cough and get rid of phlegm and sputum. We have a suction machine, and he uses it as well, but what he finds currently that standing is the most effective.

We're scared that this could increase chances of fluid in the lungs, being unable to stand up to cough it out, or the suction machine not being adequate.

Does anyone have suggestions about this phase, or this issue? Sometimes i feel these questions I ask are silly in the manner that...this IS ALS. These are the awful situations that pop up, and that we just have to do the very best we can. Since joining the forum I've been relieved to learn that all questions are welcome, and the amazing support that the community has to share. Does anyone have techniques or suggestions?

Thank you in advance... Really, thank you.

Jamie, I have a three machine set up. 1- vibrating vest 2- cough assit machine 3- suction wand to git it out the mouth once it comes up. Hope this helps some.
There is so much equipment with this nightmare!
Chally

Do you have a cough assist? It sounds like you don't, so I'll suggest that this is what is most commonly done when the PALS can't cough strongly enough on their own. As Chally says the vest and suction can help greatly too.

I would suggest CCAC they would be able to get him what is needed.
Al

Definitely get a Cough Assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back