Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
I know Tripete mentioned he uses Alka-Seltzer daily and it helps his saliva issues.

There are several kinds of Alka-Seltzer. Does anyone now what kind you are supposed to use?

Alka-Seltzer Original
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cough and Cold
Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Cold and Flu

I use the original. It helps more with Mucus than saliva. I order it online in boxes of 72.

Thanks Peter! I appreciate your response so much. My PALS is having trouble with thick mucus in the evening. I hope you are doing well!

I dont remeber if I tried Alka Seltzer, I think I did? I will try it again

The most helpful thing I've tried is PharmaNac, I take it twice a day, bought online. It thins out the mucus. The thick mucus, is the most difficult part of ALS for me. Nuedexta may help a little?

I tried many things, mucinex, papaya enzymes helped a little, yet PharmaNac has helped the most

Hope uit works out - Pat

Aids for coping w/choking als mucus / phlegm, also excessive saliva - Living with ALS - ALS Forums

I take the Alka Seltzer each day and it has all but eliminated mucus. It does not help the day you have excessive mucus, but helps for the next day. As long as I keep taking it I do not have mucus issues. I am not sure how but it definitely works.

Can you tell me how much alka seltzer you take in a day. My wife normally only takes 1500 ml of water in a day, roughly 300 at a time thru her feeding tube. She has very very thick mucus and the suction machine is getting harder to use to clear it.

Thank you

ntd19, one package everyday

Thank you, I will give it a try. Has anyone ever used baking soda mixed in water? That is the main ingredient in Alka-Sletzer, the other is asprin I believe.

Hi, I just joined the community after shadowing for several months. My husband has ALS and has recently developed mucus in his mouth. I found this thread very interesting. Should I have my husband drink the alka-selzer or just swish and spit? He is on a peg but still takes some water and his pills by mouth. thank you

I would say drink it or like my PALS, put it down the peg?!

We are now on day 3 of using Alka Seltzer and I am amazed at the result. My wife was simply being overwhelmed by the mucus having to suction several times a day for 30 to 60 minutes each time. When she opened her mouth there was mucus everywhere. I used soonerwife's suggestion, two tablets in 4 oz of water. I then used a syringe to feed the mixture into her peg over the course of an hour. I will not say the mucus is all gone but it is at least 50 to 75% better. I can find no medical reason this would occur but at this point it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back