Diagnosis
04/2017
Country
US
State
Al
City
Orange Beach
I currently have a probable diagnosis if I understand it all correctly that's the second highest level of diagnosis. My doctors first found my diaphragm to be partially paralyzed in Dec 16 suspecting an injury from a car wreck some years back. After seeing a number of doctors I was sent to a pulmonary doctor who began running things down. In April it was determined that both sides of my diaphragm are significantly paralyzed or at least operating at maybe 15%. Other test, doctors and symptoms lead to the current diagnosis. I am now wondering if my persistent sinus problem is also a symptom, I'm thinking decreased lung function? I am scheduled to get a breathing machine next week and won't see my doctor till then and feel like my complaints sounds like, too much! But yet I feel like the bearings are coming off too quickly. It's seems like I've gone from a normal 56 year old to nearly 80 something in 6 months. Does anyone have any ideas? My family doctor is great and is very nice to talk with but I don't see her for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear about your probable dx. Not sure what you mean by persistent sinus problem? You have found a great place for support. Welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I have bulbar onset and have had persistent postnasal drip and a few other sinus issues that I believe are definitely due to ALS. The sinus stuff started at exactly the same time as voice changes, and were among my very first symptoms. I recently found out from a speech therapist I am working with that a number of my speech and sinus problems relate to my soft palate not opening and closing at the right times.

Hi, PJ, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. As Kristina says, while the sinus cavity doesn't have any "muscles" to go wrong, loss of function in the surrounding structures can certainly fill it with gunk that is harder to shift. I don't know what your history is or what you are experiencing, but would consider a nasal steroid trial if you're not on one. The BiPAP and ensuring adequate humidification should help as well.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry to welcome you here, PJ.

I think you will feel a lot better once you get your BiPap machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back