Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I feel like my problems so far in this disease are so tiny compared to those of many here, and I appreciate everyone's patience in listening or advising me.

That said.. latest problem.. My cheeks close to my lips on the inside of my mouth droop a bit due to loss of muscle. So they get in the way when I'm chewing and I bite them. And of course then they get swollen which means I bite them even more. I have sores on either side, one side worse than the other, and they are thick with having been bit over and over. :(

I can't think of any way to prevent this.. but thought'd I'd ask anyway. Any ideas?

That just means you are progressing. While it sucks to bite ones self on the inside of the cheeks, it is completely normal with MND.

As you said...with muscle loss and loss of coordination in the tongue and the face it is symptomatic. Just keep an eye on the bites for infection, and rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash. They will heal up and come back during different times.

Don't think there is anything that can be done to prevent the bites, short of putting cotton balls in your cheeks like Marlin Brando in the Godfather.

Hate to suggest, but should thoughts of a feeding tube be in the horizon?

I wish I had a solution. This was an early symptom for my Chris, but he would especially wake up biting the insides of his mouth.

Sadly as things atrophy this will stop happening, it's kind of an interim phase.

I had the same problem and I found the only solution was to take more care chewing. Good news is I stopped doing it, now it seldom happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back