06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hello-

I have started salivating more during my sleep, it seems. It's caused me a bit of a problem with my face mask. The escaping saliva is messing with the "seal" on my face mask and causing leaks and weird whistling sounds that terrify the cat and wakes me up.

Has anyone encountered this, and if so, is there a quick fix of some sort to prevent the saliva from reaching the mask and wicking around where the mask sits on your face? My mouth is closed at night, but it seems like my lips aren't doing their job as well as they might and I am dribbling. I also use a chin strap to make sure my mouth remains firmly clamped shut. I have gone through many different masks, and this is the only one that has worked for me so far until this issue.

Note: the mask is an Airfit F20, Ladies' small.

Thanks in advance

Understanding that you have tried a lot of masks, a nasal mask is of course less likely to have this issue. Did you try the Circadiance nasal mask?

Not the Circadiance mask- the clinic I go through only seems to sell Resmed stuff.

The nasal masks I've tried, N10, Mirage, and one other I can't find now, were no good for me. Air would rush through my nose and out my mouth. Even with a chin strap, the air continued to push through my lips. The Mirage was close to successful, but air still squeaked out the sides of my mouth and messed up the information the respirologist was getting from the machine.

Just had a look at the Circadience site, and they look interesting. I'll check in with the respirologist to see if they can bring one in for me to try. I will need one that covers mouth and nose though because even a chin strap allows for leaking.

Thanks for the recommendation, Laurie.

I had a similar a problem with my mask(s). The whistling was coming from the vent on the mask by the nose when it got wet. I keep a microfiber towel near and wipe it off when it starts to whistle. In terms of the face seals, I fight those a lot as well no good answer on that from my end. Good luck

Ken

My husband has had the same issue. He uses Atropine drops at night. They seem to be helping.

When my mask farted out the sides my trilogy was set to high, bringing it down solved this but by morning my throat and upper chest is full of yuck crap and it takes quite a bit of hacking and wheezing to git it out but once cleared all is good.
Good luck Fiona
Love ya
Chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back