Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
My neuro just prescribed this for muscle cramps. Just curious if others had good experiences with this drug.

It did nothing for my cramps but knocked me out. Valium and magnesium are the two things that help my cramps.

Gabapentin just made me sleepy and didn't make much difference in the spasticity I have. Baclofen works better for me, but also made me groggy and weakened me.

I used to be on Gabapentin for my finbromyalgia, I found it effective for the pain in that but it did nothing for the cramping I have with mnd. I found massage with magnesium oil most effective.

Wendy

I used to be on Gabapentin for my finbromyalgia, I found it effective for the pain in that but it did nothing for the cramping I have with mnd. I found massage with magnesium oil most effective.

Wendy

Wendy, I was dx with fibromyalgia by Mayo Clinic in 1999. Back then many doctors didn't even believe it existed. Now I don't know where that stops and the ALS starts in the way of pain. I have used the magnesium oil and love it. I also like coconut oil.

I use magnesium and also drink tonic water with quinine and that keeps my cramps in check. I still get them but they are manageable.

Gabapentin is for neuropathic pain (that comes from the nerves). It will not do anything for cramps of the muscles.

My Mother was prescribed Gabapentin for neuropathy pain
brought on by her Diabetes.

hm, thanks for the input. I'll give it a try since the doctor felt it might help, but it sounds like it may not be a great option.. I should add though that the doctor prescribed it to help with the pain in my ab/core muscles (see my other post) as well as painful cramping I get all over. I took it last night and it certainly knocked me out.. which I'm not complaining about because I've had trouble sleeping due to the core muscle pain. I'm supposed to take a low day dose as well. I hope it doesn't make me too sleepy.

also, sorry if this is a silly question, but can I take all my AM or PM meds at the same time? For example taking the AM dose of gabapentin, nudexta, and riluzole all at once, and same for the PM dose. Is it hard on your stomach or liver when you take everything at the same time? Is it better to stagger them?

I think it is fine to take things together unless they say need to be taken alone. If it bothers your stomach you can always space them out. For me the fewer times a day I have to take something the better!

Are you taking magnesium? As noted above it does help with cramps and constipation. If the cramps are very bad and you can't control them with magnesium ask about mexilitine, a heart medicine that has been found to help ALS cramps

Thanks Nikki, I ordered magnesium I am going to start it asap. I used to take it when I was pregnant for RLS and constipation and sleep and it definitely helped so I think it's a great idea to try it now.

The doctor wanted me to try gabapentin first before going to mexilitine because she said the risks/side effects with mexilitine are worse so if this works it'd be preferable.

I definitely prefer taking everything at once so I have less to remember, just wanted to be sure it was ok!

I'm new here...My wife was taking Gabapentin for cramps and such related to her ALS, and in the past few months, her coughing and choking became unbearable, and very hard to recover from. She thought she should try NOT taking it for a week and see what happens. The doctors at Mayo didn't have any real ideas for these coughing fits except taking more doses... Well, after stopping use, her coughing is minimal, and she's way more alert. not so lethargic. We know everyone is different, but Gabapentin wasn't best for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back