Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Sydney
I've been with my husband for 10 years now (married and unmarried). Prior to his symptoms he slept really well. As soon as his symptoms started he began having very vivid dreams - he talks in his sleep sometimes, he throws punches, rolls of the bed, laughs too.

He never used to do this before and i'm wondering if it's connected to the disease.

Anyone else experience something similar?

I have more vivid dreams than ever before and I have had more intense episodes of synesthesia. I am sure ALS is lurking in my brain and in some way related. I also have a lot of emotional lability which nuedexta worked well for but I had to stop it as it didn't agree with my liver. There is a lot more unknown with ALS than known.

I have had this, very vivid dreams waking up convinced I can hear people calling or talking to me. Those are new things and I associated them with starting to need bipap as it happened around the same time.

However I had always been prone to sleepwalking and sleeptaking when I was a child, I just never remember it.

Wendy

I had a feeling it would be related however the doctors kept telling me no. It just seemed too much of a coincidence. It all happened around the same time and the first night we slept together in our new house (a few months after symptom onset) he yelled out a swear word in his sleep. I'd never heard him do that ever. Since then we've had 'rolling off the bed because someone is shooting at me', 'giggling because his friends giving him a piggy back', slapping me on the back... It's not constant but it happens enough for me to wonder.

If he is taking anti-depressants they can cause very vivid dreams and talking in your sleep.
Patrick

I to have very vivid dreams, and they are all good, usually about people I know or old friends that have passed, all good.
Al

My wife also talked/threw punches etc. in her sleep often prior to diagnosis.
She also grinded her teeth a lot. I have no idea if these things can be related, but it is interesting to see that others had the same.

I am PLS but I have very vivid dreams too. I call them frustration dreams... very vivid dreams of not being able to find my SUV in a parking garage, wondering (in the dream) if it was stolen, not being able to find my way out of a building (halls, doors - what floor), in one I could not find the right gate to board my plane at an airport. I could go on but... it's how vivid these dreams are. And... it's been said you don't dream in color... wrong! Also, you normally don't swear in dreams... wrong! I am not on any anti depressants... yet.

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

My husband isn't on anti depressants either. His dreams are frustration ones mostly too - he's yelling at his siblings, getting angry with people, trying to hide from shootings. Only twice have they sounded pleasant.

I brought it up now because he smacked my back the other night. I've woken up crying before from what seemed like a huge hit, buts mostly it's from shock as I bruise easily & have never bruised. I worry about what'll happen when I fall pregnant & he hits me during his sleep... I joke about having to be wrapped up in pillows every night!

My husband has always had these types of dreams and there is always an element of panic/frustration/fear/anger to them. He used to have ones related to work at his stressful job, but now he still has them.

It's probably stress related to having the disease OR the disease itself...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back