Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS wants to get a dog. I think he probably gets lonely being home alone while I work.

Anybody know what type of dog would be best?

I would prefer small, low maintenance as far as grooming and minimal shedding?!

My mother has a shihtzu and she's been a complete delight. She was 5 yrs old when they brought her home and has proven to be an absolute joy to them ever since she arrived. They adopted her from a dog rescue charity that makes sure all their charges are well trained in the basics before sending them off to their forever homes. Shihtzus are small, relatively low maintenance (just a hair cut or trim every two or so months) and don't shed. They can be protective and are usually very devoted to their people. They don't require huge long walks because their legs are quite short, but they can be energetic and playful just running around with a toy or ball to bring you when you throw it.

My only other recommendation is you not get a puppy unless you are home to train them for the first few weeks. A mature dog adoption means they are usually trained in the basics and don't require the attention a baby dog requires.

Truth is, a (shorthair) cat would be lower maintenance, as in, they use a litterbox, but if he prefers dogs...

He does prefer dogs.

King Charles spaniels are very gentle little lap dogs and don't need a huge amount of exercise

Wendy

I would encourage you to look at the Coton de Tulear. They are described as the "ultimate anti-depressant in the form of a dog." Our Elsie, now 11, fits that description to the letter. Very much the companion dog, they like to be close (like in your lap) and involved. Elsie loves being my "helper" when I do things with my PALS. Like a poodle, they don't shed and don't smell. They are very good for anyone with animal allergies. Elsie will "talk" to us... but seldom barks (unless someone knocks at the door). From the day that we picked her up as a puppy, she came to work with us 5 days a week. Folks would make special trips to come to our business to bring her treats or to just say "hi." There are two types of Cotons... the European and the Malagasy. Our Elsie is the latter. A good place to start researching this breed is "cotonclub.org". I'll post an early picture of Elsie. Good luck finding the right dog for you!

My best...

Jim
a2c64693-5344-49db-a1b7-c52c980ca23f_zps26837898.jpg

I will second the Coton de Tulear. Our Coton is 12 years old and was a constant companion for my husband. He would curl up next to him in his bed and it was so interesting whenever my husband was upset our sweet dog always knew it and would go cuddle by his side -- providing comfort when needed. We too had the Malagasy Coton. We are on our second Coton and would not consider another breed -- they are very talkative and very loving not to mention cute! You may be able to obtain one from a breeder that a breeder is retiring -- that is how we acquired our first Coton. In this way you can avoid having to train a puppy and you get a dog ready to love you! Good luck on finding a great companion.

You gotta get one of these....60 lbs of muscle.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 182
IMG_1576.jpg
My constant companion! Loves to sit on my feet.

Definitely get an adult whatever breed you choose. A smaller dog will mean you don't need to exercise it in a serious way because it can get enough by playing around the house and yard.

Going together to a shelter can allow a dog to pick you both, maybe being more focused on the dog and your hubby than on your preference?

Agreeing with Tillie shelter. Definitely adult and well trained especially if he is still trying to walk. I have been tripped up twice by dogs at other people's houses that were not so well trained and under foot. I love dogs but when you are not too agile they can be an issue ( and my mobility is still pretty good)

On another note there is a book that is a must have if you have an adopted child and appropriate for any young child. Hope-so Too. There is a dog shelter in it. A real tear- jerker but good ending

Sorry; no nasty little yapping dogs.....

Other than being pretty high strung, they tend not to be so good with the potty department.

I have... and highly recommend... a Newfoundland.

Very strong... something that you can pull on or hold on to.
Very docile... does not ever get excited.
Very low activity level... doesn't need a lot of outside play time.
Very low daily maintenance (though you will need to get him brushed or groomed frequently)... eats once a day, has to go outside only a few times a day... just wants lots of water.
Great around company.
Very aware of your needs and can tell if you are in trouble.
Strong enough to drag you out of a bad situation.

I've had quite a few dogs (and cats) in my life. I prefer the small, smart breeds that can be trained easily and require no grooming. I would recommend the toy fox terrier but they do shed even though they have short hair. I had a toy poodle that was just incredible and so smart. I just had him cut real short about 4 times a year.

My suggestion would be to figure out the dog you want and see if a breeder is retiring one already trained and used to living indoors. I would also train it to use the pee pad as well as go outside.

Shelter dogs are great but you need to make sure it will be compatible in your home. I think having a dog is a great idea but I'd stay away from puppies.

Here's a picture of me with Monet, my Toy Poodle and a picture of the dog I have now, Ace, a Toy Fox Terrier. They both topped out at about 7 pounds.

Dogs can be trained not to bark and it's quite simple. I even trained a Schnauzer not to bark and they are famous for barking. One way is to put a bunch of coins in a jar and, when the dog barks, shake the jar just enough to "break the bark cycle." If you get a smart breed, it'll be a whole lot easier to train and handle in your environment.

There are some breed/people matching tests online. Mine always say either Italian Greyhound or Toy Fox Terrier. I've had Italian Greyhounds and they are tiny couch potatoes but very hard to potty train unless you are willing to use the pee pad pretty much full time.

Attachments

• 2676_1097149876311_6830927_n.jpg
    2676_1097149876311_6830927_n.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 261
I admit- I have two giant retrievers. They shed enough hair in Spring and Fall to create two more dogs. It's a small price to pay for their companionship They don't bark unless Grandma's at the door- and then it's a single "woof!" because Grandma brings treats and doesn't expect them to have manners.

For me they are the perfect companions because they are patient and will assist me in standing up and will lean against me to provide stability. I just have to point and say "move" if they're in my way. My younger dog is particularly sensitive to my state of health and will arrive by my chair and nudge my arm if he detects I'm about to get light headed. I have no idea what clues him in, but he's often there before my ears even start to ring.

While I understand the desire to have a small dog, a well trained and older large dog can also be perfect for some. As others above have said, a shelter or charity can be a good place to go to find the perfect companion. Some dog rescue charities put a lot of work into making sure their dogs are as adoptable as possible and test their charges in different scenarios (good with cats and small children, aren't terrified of vacuums, etc). They will ask you what your needs and requirements are in order to make sure they find the perfect fit for you.

If you have a specific breed that you would like, there are many rescue associations that focus on a particular dog breed or size of dog. I am a FB follower of the charity Golden Rescue- and they work hard to place Golden Retrievers in appropriate homes after testing and training. I bet there is a specific rescue association for every breed of dog mentioned above.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new companion should you adopt one. The love a dog gives is unconditional and so rewarding.

I'd say go with an adult shelter or rescue dog too.

They say when you go to a shelter/rescue that the dog picks you, rather than you picking the dog. I know that's what happened with us. We went to look at a totally different dog we had seen on their website, but my Budha actually picked up my wallet (which I had put down on a low shelf) and walked off with it. How could I refuse?!

He's been great! I love mutts. Have always had them. Will always get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back