Chocking and coughing after throat infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
GR
State
Athens
City
Athens
Hello all,
After a year of diagnosed als and my mother seems to have a throat infection and is chocking at night especially when she goes to sleep. Doc said that her oxygen level is fine but she keeps geting that. My mother says she does not feel any mucus from the infection and the cough feels like it is comin from stomach fluid. As the local hospital is really bad they gave her some cortizone. Is this a symptome that she has to get a feeding tube or is it a problem of the lungs so that she needs oxygen. After coughing she gasps for air and im not sure that cortizone is the answer. Any advices on what to do while the chocking starts would be great. I tried giving her some cola and water so far.

Hi Greek,
Has her lung function been tested? (tests like MIP and FVC). The oxygen being good does not mean her lungs are good. She may need a machine to help with breathing at night.

How well does she eat, drink and swallow?

Best,
Laurie

Dear Laurie,
Her lungs are not tested we have an appointment booked. Eating and shallowing is good so far but her stomach is complaining after every meal with heavy burps. Thank you very much for your advice will try to get on the tests from a private doc if thats possible.
Is any chance that she might need a coughing help machine?as the chocking comes after coughing?
Thanks
Efi

Yes, something like a suction machine or CoughAssist machine or both may help. But if she cannot breathe well enough to help cough, a BiPAP will help also. I'm glad you are getting these tests for her.

Since she is feeling problems in her stomach, Alza-Seltzer, which helps some people with mucus, might be worth trying for both reasons, likewise papaya juice or tablets.

Another thing worth considering is gastroesophageal reflux, since your mother feels like the cough is coming from stomach fluid. My husband had severe coughing episodes which initially were thought to be lung infections but did not improve with antibiotics. They were caused by severe reflux.

Sleeping with the head of the bed elevated is important and there are medications that can be taken to decrease reflux. You should discuss this with her doctor.

Sharon

Thank you all so much for your advices. We had her lungs tested and doctor advised that it is still good functioning, no need to get machine support yet. Seems that chocking was caused from mucus so doctor gave an inhaling like asthma device and lot of water drinking (water was causing her gastro problems, therefore she didnt drink much lately) besides the antibiotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back