Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
Anyone else suffer from crotch rot that is in pwc 24/7 ?
All winter long I wore fleece lined pants and as a result developed a big rash that is not going away with antibiotics and creams.

Now that I can wear shorts I think it will go away but because my legs are closed most times of the day this has a tendency to happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Love ya Chally

It sounds fungal so I hope that is the purpose of the creams. Why the antibiotic ? Did they think it was a secondary bacterial infection or were they just trying everything?

Fungi love warm moist places of course. Anything you can do to promote a dry area will help. Possibly strips of white cotton in the creases if you can when the area has to beclosely covered. Loose shorts should help.

Consider ( depending on the exact area) apple cider vinegar washes. They helped my sister who had it her contracted hand. Also depending on the exact area twice a week use selsun blue as you would a shower gel. I would not use it on the most delicate areas.

Be aware these do recur easily. Also continue topical treatment for at least a week after you think you are better.

There are antifungal pills. They are hard on the liver but sometimes needed if all else fails

Last edited:
Athlete's foot cream such as Tolnaftate... it will wipe it out as long as it isn't infected.

Preacherman reminded me. Make sure you don't have any athlete's foot going on. You could be reinfecting yourself every time you dress. If you do put on socks before underwear

I'm prone to yeast infections!!!! I get that diflucan pill and wipe with witch hazel. When it is flaring up the less clothing the better and avoid sugars. Another elderly lady who was prone to yeast also suggested lactose bicilious pills ( not taken orally either lol) she said to insert them, of course I thought she was crazy so I asked my doctor and he said try it, it can't hurt anything. Well the old girl was right. Hoping you get it under control

First, I would get a doctor to make the correct diagnosis because treating yeast and treating bacterial infections differ. Antibiotics can actually cause yeast infections so if it is a very bad yeast infection you might have to take Diflucan.

I only wear cotton and I wear my clothing loose.

Hope it gets better soon.

Darcey's issue is from her skin sweating and then sticking together. And because she can't move on her own, blood flow seems to get minimized. During the day, I'll lay her fully back in the PWC and reach into the crotch area to gently unstick and move pieces/parts. When she gets red or raw, we'll use prescription cortisone cream. When it gets better, we'll switch to an over the counter cortisone cooling gel. And when we've been successful in getting the skin healthy again, we'll use baby powder with cornstarch (the cornstarch version working much better than others). The baby powder is used under her arms and anywhere skin touches skin (where it is not often moved). That and periodic movement/stretching can go a long way. Good luck in finding that which works best for you!

My best...

Jim

Sorry of course it needs proper diagnosis. Apparently some provider evaluated it as there were antibiotics. Unfortunately some providers are not so well versed in dermatology and treat all possible causes at once which as Kim notes is likely to make things worse but maybe there is/ was a secondary infection that needed antibiotics.

If the diagnosis was not well made another opinion may be in order

Chally, I am so sorry about the discomfort and concern. I hope you are able to get it seen to, possibly by another doctor. It sounds like you may be incubating something quite nasty.

I had a similar experience once with a pernicious and persistent infection in one of my armpits of all places. A combination of sweat, contact with synthetic fabric and exposure to athlete's foot fungus created the perfect recipe for an opportunistic bacteria to also set up shop. Fungus on the surface, bacteria in the hair follicles (folliculitis) and all heading towards sepsis until I received strong oral antibiotics and topical antifungal and antibiotics via a dressing that needed frequent changing. If it had persisted longer, I was scheduled for iv antibiotics.

I hope you are able to evict your little critters quickly, as I am sure it's really uncomfortable.

As already stated this could be funal, and te antibiotics are worse than useless. There are Rx powders and creams.

Once you get that under control, I suggest Goldbond powder or Anti Monkeybutt powder.

In addition to a 2nd opinion, the NutriBiotic grapefruit seed extract products (ointment, spray, powder) may help. Powders can cause further irritation/inflammation so maybe stick with ointments/sprays until you have a handle on it. Hope you find relief soon.

Best,
Laurie

Ouch Chally - this was so cruel for Chris too and we had to be vigilant especially in warmer weather! I agree though get it checked by a doctor to be sure you are treating the right thing.

Until you get a correct diagnosis and prescription, for a good neutral (non medicinal) temporary relief, you might try good old fashion cornstarch powder.

Do not use talcum powder... for anything.

PS Another tip, clean the area often with aloe moisturizing hand sanitizer. It might be a real thrill the first few times but that will lessen. Pump a good size glob on a folded paper towel or gauze pad to apply. Air dry well then use the cornstarch.

Last edited:
Chally, I have had the same issue. I just wash with a warm wash cloth each night. I think it might be just from less activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back