Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS wants to know if there is a way to make your spit not bubbly? He says it gags him.

Soonerwife your question is hard to understand, don't know what you are asking.
Al

Related to weak muscles, air mixes in, as it would if you held your mouth open or swallowed air...I think hydration is the bottom line, though you could also try papaya or pineapple juice through his tube, and washing his tongue periodically with a damp cloth.

Is there a time of day, or any activity, posture or trigger you have noticed or is it bubbly all the time?

Tillie, he said it usually happens in the evenings.

He is likely more tired at day end and his swallowing muscles are weaker. If the conservative measures posted by Laurie don't work well enough, The ALS Association website has information about saliva control. The drugs listed can be helpful. If not, and saliva management becomes worse, talk to your doctor about saliva gland radiation therapy.

I'm pretty sure Tripete uses alkaseltzer with great success.

I'd be using radiation as a very last resort, that's a whole new range of issues it introduces. The problem with PALS is rarely excess saliva, even though it seems that way. The problem is dealing with swallowing saliva. Radiating salivary glands to dry them up means not enough saliva and a host of new issues to look after.

I wonder if he needs a rest in the afternoons?

He possibly could need rest in the afternoon?! That would probably help his Co2 as well?! It was 51 yesterday when the RT was here.

I'm pretty sure Tripete uses alkaseltzer with great success.

I'd be using radiation as a very last resort, that's a whole new range of issues it introduces. The problem with PALS is rarely excess saliva, even though it seems that way. The problem is dealing with swallowing saliva. Radiating salivary glands to dry them up means not enough saliva and a host of new issues to look after.

I wonder if he needs a rest in the afternoons?
The European and North American protocols for saliva glands radiation therapy, that I have studied, are aware of the negative impact of complete knock out of all saliva production and have focused on portions of the submandibular glands, allowing for some, manageable amounts of saliva production. This has been posted on before...
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/als...therapy-normalizes-life-threading-saliva.html

Let's not forget Botox injections in the salivary glands as a means of controlling excess saliva.

I am considering this option for my PALS (who unfortunately is terrified of needles). He has tried glycopyrrolate, Atropine drops, antihistamines, anti-allergy pills, Levsin, papaya and pineapple juice... but nothing works on him. The flow of saliva is constant and never ending. I have started the "brainwash" process to get him used to the idea of Botox injections...

I have tried Glycopyrrolate and nortryptaline, and couldn't tolerate either the anticholinergic nor the tricyclic antidepressant. In looking at the option of botox injections, I am fearful of the potential risk of migration of the botulinum toxin to my swallowing muscles and ending up worse off than before. Radiation therapy has been studied thoroughly and is safe and well tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back