Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Just curious- for those who have arm/hand weakness, did getting blood pressure taken start to become painful?

Around the same time that my hand weakness developed (over a year ago) it started to become painful for me to have someone take my BP. I'd been going to the same PCP for years and out of nowhere it became really, really painful. The first time I thought the nurse must be incompetent and I got really upset and she acted like I was a crazy person (because obviously the squeeze isn't painful normally).

Anyway over time I learned that if the machine pumps it up electronically it hurts me, but if a nurse pumps it manually (the old fashioned way) it's okay.

Is this ALS related or just a weird coincidence with the timing? I'm curious if muscle loss in my hand and arm could somehow make the squeezing become painful like that.

Interesting question. I feel more discomfort with blood pressure, blood draws, spinal taps and PAP smears than before. None of these areas are weak that I know of but somehow my tolerance is less

I agree with Nikki. I used to have a very high threshold for pain and now even having my teeth cleaned hurts. I think something about this disease messes with pain tolerance.

It is possible that loss of muscle and fat on your arms can cause more pain from pressure. I know my butt hurts when I sit on hard seats because lots of the muscle wasted and the fat that is there doesn't cushion it like the muscle did.

I am noticing the same pain sensitivity. A bout of constipation a couple weeks ago left me with hemmerhoids which are screaming. I made it through four pregnancies including twins without these. A definite pain in the toosh.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for sharing ladies.

I think it has to do with no cushioning for the bone. My dad had a leg brace for his drop foot and said that it would hurt. I thought he was crazy until the neurologist said that the strap from the brace was actually rubbing on the bone because of no fat and muscle.

I am noticing the same pain sensitivity. A bout of constipation a couple weeks ago left me with hemmerhoids which are screaming. I made it through four pregnancies including twins without these. A definite pain in the toosh.

I'm planning on getting the band removal of these painful things. I liberally use preparation H, both suppositories and cream. I'm no longer constipated since I started more magnesium and psyllium but I still get them every once in awhile.

Just wondering if the blood pressure is being taken with a smaller arm cuff. My arms are atrophied so that I require a child size cuff. So far, having my blood pressure taken, hasn't caused discomfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back