Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
Sadly, the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Last week Ability Medical Supply Company called me to let me know my wheel chair had been approved EXCEPT for the seat elevator. She informed me that I would have to pay $2,800. I knew they had spent a lot of time getting the order ready and Medicare's approval. I told her I no longer wanted the wheelchair if I had to pay anything. She told me she was shocked. I explained to her how I had been pushed to get another brand and I knew it was because the markup was higher. I told her that I called Permobil directly and they sent a rep to my home with different models and seats to make sure I was getting exactly what I needed and wanted. I told her the Permobil rep said they gave vouchers for the seat elevator and that I had requested (three times) a voucher from my local chapter (which is where I was told to make the request.) She wasn't happy when we ended the call so I waited.

Today, our regional ALSA coordinator called me and said Ability called her and they discovered that our region didn't receive vouchers. I guess one call led to another until it reached a VP at Permobil. He gave me a voucher!

It doesn't feel good to have to outmaneuver companies by bluffing. I now understand why many PALS just give up when trying to get something. The sad thing is that I started the process back in December. There must be an easier way.

Oh well. One more thing checked off the box.

Well done! Having fought to receive appropriate equipment a while back, I understand how hard it is to fight for something they don't want to give you. Yep, you outmaneuvered someone- but only because they were attempting to outmaneuver you and duck out of something that was rightfully yours. I am glad you had the energy and tenacity to do so.

Good for you Kim! We are currently in the getting the proper mattress for pressure sores, respiritory( on a vent 24/7), and height( 6'4") battle. I feel like we are all David fighting Goliath and I love it that you won. Kate

Good for you Kim! We are currently in the getting the proper mattress for pressure sores, respiritory( on a vent 24/7), and height( 6'4") battle. I feel like we are all David fighting Goliath and I love it that you won. Kate

Kate, Just keep reminding yourself David won! I hope you get what you need. It shouldn't be so hard.

Trying to get equipment in a timely manner is so frustrating. I feel your pain. We have yet to get my PALS pwc which I started working on Jan 2. It is supposed to be delivered by the end of next week.

Numotion reduced the price of the elevator to $1500. They told me Permobil wouldn't comp the elevator. I applied for a grant at ALS for life. They responded that they are a small company and had alot of applications for grants and that they couldn't help us.

Between DMEs and insurance companies, the frustration is very real.

I am glad you bluffed and were successful. I should have attempted to contact Permobil myself.

Thank you for finishing connect the dots Kim. I think I will use that visualization of David and Goliath whenever I am fighting for something for my PALS, it will be my inspiration! Unfortunately for all of us there are way too many of these battles and they suck the limited energy out of all of us PALS and CALS.

Kim, nice work! So glad you stuck with it and got what you needed. You rock!!!

Good going, Kim!

Good for you Kim!!!

Reminds me of my battle with Permobil.....I stuck with it and got my F3 exchanged for a M300 with lift. I still think if they can offer a voucher for one...they should offer it to all. might as well make it standard equipment.

Carolsue

CarolSue, I agree. Your posts about the exchange is one of the main reasons I dug my feet in and fought. There are so many things connected with this disease that we need to lobby for but getting DME in a timely fashion and getting the features we NEED is very important.

They called me today and said the M300 had been discontinued so that had to order a different model and it would take another 4 weeks to come in.

Yep. It looks like the M300 was just recently replaced by the M3.

The C300 and C500 were replaced by the F3 and F5 almost 2 years ago.

I have been wondering when Permobil would update their mid wheel drive model. I first learned of the M3 about a week ago.

Sorry you got caught up in the switch to the new model.

It is a reminder for everyone to start procuring a wheelchair long before you absolutely need it. I know you did and hope that this is more an aggravation and inconvenience than a crisis.

One thing to note is that with the switch to the new models Permobil has dropped their Permalock product. Be sure your van uses a different locking mechanism, such as the EZ Lock.

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

As soon as I get the chair, I'll call Mobility Works and they will install whatever locking device I need. The tie downs are there even though they're a pain to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back