Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Happened when I was o the commode. Have one of the assist things that has bars on both sides. When I grabbed them and stood up, I immediately fell backwards and landed between the toilet and side wall. My chair was parked in front of the commode. If I had just fallen into my chair. Took my wife and son at least 20 minutes to get me up. They dropped me 3 times. Scrapes but nothing serious. Probably be sore in the morning.

Vince

Very sorry to hear that Vince, I am just trying to think of a safer way but no luck so far, do you have an elevated seat?
Al

So sorry to hear this Vince. Glad that you weren't seriously hurt.

Hugs to you,
Joan

I do have a tall-boy toilet but legs are just weaker.

Vince

I don't know if it will help Vince but I slide forward as far as I can before I stand, I find it easier for me.
Al

Vince, I'm sorry you had to experience that. Matt did much the same thing in the public rest room in a hotel. It took three burly security guards to get him up.

That's when I really got on him about not making transfers without the lift--which meant go before you leave or have an escape and clean up plan in place.

We use the shower chair a lot, or if he sits on the toliet it's with the sling supporting him.

Hugs,
Becky

To add to Al's point, our PT told my PALS to put his feet back as close to under his hips as he could anytime he was going from sit to stand. From my observations, it really made a difference. Glad to hear you didn't have any serious injury Vince. Kate

Vince, it sounds like you need to consider some kind of lift in your bathroom. There are many options. I hope you heal up well.

Vince,

I am sorry to read about your fall. Very glad to hear no significant damage was done.

Steve

Vince, glad it was not evidently serious.

I don't know if it would help you, but you can buy a non-slip plastic step for your feet, that gives you a height boost getting up and could be an interim step in getting you up if you slip again. But longer-term or maybe now, everyone is right in suggesting a lift and I thought you talked about getting one?

Best,
Laurie

I'm so sorry Vince xxx Please accept the use of equipment from now, for yourself but for your family's sake too.

Gently hugs to our bruised friend.

Ouch Not nice, I have done exactly the same thing. For me it signalled the end of going to the loo on my own. From that point on I always had a gait belt on and someone to help steady me. Then when we couldn't manage safely we moved to the lift and sling.

I know it's hard to accept, but bathroom floors are usually hard tile and the damage could have been much worse! Please look into equipment to make it safer.

Wendy x

Ouch, glad you are ok!

Vince I really can't handle reading this!

My dear friend, please avail yourself of whatever you can get your hands on to prevent falls.

It worries me no end, these falls PALS have.

Hope you're not too sore on this day after, Vince. Sorry about that fall. :(
Please be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back