Old 04-19-2017, 01:34 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Kristina1 is on a very distinguished roadKristina1 is on a very distinguished road
Kristina1 is on a very distinguished roadKristina1 is on a very distinguished road
Default what causes poor balance

I'm having some trouble with balance. Is that related to weakness or related to another neurological component? I'm trying to understand if this means weakness is spreading to a new region or not.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what causes poor balance

If you are very spastic that could affect balance. I am guessing you are not dizzy? I know you have started new meds....

I have some issues too that I think are from leg weakness. You could also have core weakness that would throw off your balance.

What I find is that I have to pay attention. My neuro asked me once if I have to think about walking. I do. No more walking along admiring scenery or using my phone or even having a conversation with a companion
Old 04-19-2017, 03:30 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Kristina can you describe it a little more?

Nikki said it well - Chris would say the same thing about having to concentrate every moment. Muscles are weak and also with spasticity if that is present, muscles just don't obey smoothly. He certainly never had any kind of dizziness, but could just go over very suddenly.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM #4 (permalink)

No, no dizziness. I just tip over easily. For example it is hard to stand on one foot, or to squat, or to perch on one knee. I will squat to look for something in the bottom shelf of the pantry and end up tipping over and falling, or today I was perched with a knee tucked in on the sofa and my son accidentally swatted me and it knocked me backwards off the couch even though he barely hit me with any force at all. It just was enough to overwhelm my balance and I fell flat on my back. Or a lot of times I will squat to hug my son as he runs into my arms but again it knocks me over or backwards and I fall.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Yes squatting is a position that requires a lot of muscles to work together well, especially to raise from that position.

Chris hated having to ask me to retrieve things from lower cupboards but he would topple every time he attempted to squat or even lean down low. xxx
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

It sounds similar to what I experience which I know to be leg weakness though the bits with your son remind me of my sister early on and I think that was mostly a loss of core strength
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM #7 (permalink)

Ok, thanks. Core/abs and legs were exactly the two I wondered if might be causing it. But I was hoping not since I hadn't previously had weakness there.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:38 PM #8 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
ShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud ofShiftKicker has much to be proud of

If you have spasticity combined with LMN weakness, it can complicate things as well. In a healthy person, the brain sends many many signals to your muscles to maintain balance, and also receives feedback from those muscles in order to help maintain balance. By making constant adjusments to a whole network of muscles, a person can remain upright without even thinking about things.

Unfortunately, it's different for folks who have ALS/MND. While your brain is working as hard as it possibly can to keep you in a chosen position, it's likely only getting a few signals through to your muscles and only getting erratic signals back. As people said above, it's going to take more awareness and care on your part to be able to maintain balance or make sure you are in a safe position if tipping over is happening more frequently.
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Cny
State: NYS
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Trippy is on a distinguished road
City: Cny
State: NYS
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Trippy is on a distinguished road

Hi Kristina,

I wonder about this too. I have very good core and arm strength but serious spasticity in my legs, and less so (but still significant) in my arms and shoulders, and I have VERY poor balance, even using a rolling walker, so I now supplement with a manual wheelchair. Anyway, balance issues are definitely part of the MND package but I couldn't tell you why exactly. I wish I could still squat..
Thanks from
Kristina1 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 is on a very distinguished roadKW1234 is on a very distinguished road
City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Diagnosed: 10/2016
KW1234 is on a very distinguished roadKW1234 is on a very distinguished road

I found that my balance worsened as my calf muscles weakened. Those specific muscles had the greatest impact for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 AM #11 (permalink)

City: Armidale
State: NSW
Diagnosed: 01/2016
sleepy is on a very distinguished roadsleepy is on a very distinguished road
City: Armidale
State: NSW
Diagnosed: 01/2016
sleepy is on a very distinguished roadsleepy is on a very distinguished road

Upper motor neurone. I am upper motor neurone dominant. Happens in your head even if legs are still good. You need to be really careful of falls.
Closed Thread

Tags
balance, weakness