Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
Us
State
Ma
City
Boston
Hi all, I am back. So recently, my PALS has experienced more often then not coughing fits that resemble water down your windpipe (which might actually be happening?) I guess I get that part, but I stand there feeling completely helpless as when he goes to breath in air during a "fit" he is gasping almost seems like for his life. I have gently asked him during one of those what can I do. He frankly responds with, well if I am choking do the Heimlich. I say, okay. But this is not choking. Anyone go through this....? I want to call 911!

My dad did this frequently and while it terrified all of us, he wasn't actually choking. I think it was more of a spasm and if my mom rubbed his back while it was happening it would subside more quickly. I almost called 911 several times! The others may have more tips on how to get it to pass quicker but my understanding is it's not really dangerous (as long as they aren't eating or drinking at that moment).

My PALS also has this frequently but he has a trach and when this happens I suction through the trach which usually stops the coughing temporarily.

Sharon

Apart from suctioning, which helps some people, the ideal is prevention of buildup of any saliva/mucus mixture. Papaya/pineapple juice or tablets, Alka-Seltzer, humidification, replacing furnace filters, warm liquids, sodas, hydration and periodic hacking up of the surplus liquid if possible into a paper towel, are all options to consider, and I'm sure I've omitted some.

Is it from choking (aspirating) on saliva? That happens to me a lot also, but I've been able to reduce it a bit by reminding myself (consciously) to swallow my excess saliva frequently throughout the day, and doing the chin-tuck swallow when I do. Sometimes it does turn into almost a spasm where you are gasping for a breath and can barely get one but it does subside and I don't think it is dangerous. I have also had it turn into a swallow type spasm, which I'm not sure how to describe. Basically my body forces me to convulsively swallow hard (painfully hard, like swallowing a large air bubble) over and over for a what feels like a long time but is probably only 20 seconds. During that time I can't breath because I'm swallowing, it's hard to explain, it feels scary but I don't think it is actually dangerous. It subsides and then I'm fine.

I am not sure if either Labinma's PALS or Kristina is experiencing laryngospasm rather than a saliva issue? There are threads for strategies if so that you can find in a search

It can be both, too -- spasms can be triggered by irritation from liquid and I read "water" as a productive cough in part. But fair point, approach it from both directions.

I have laryngo spasms. Mine can be caused by a sudden intense tickle or saliva going down the wrong pipe or even choking on a damn ice cream cone. They are terrifying,,,but look up Larson maneuver on google. It describes a procedure that can help shorten the episode and or make it not quite so severe. One thing I've learned from my research is try to hold your breath as soon as it starts for as long as you can...then when you DO try to take that next breath always breath through your NOSE. I know...holding our breath while gasping for air you say??? Well trust me it helps and if you manage to do it before trying to suck air in through your mouth you may be able to head them off all together. Remember try to stay calm , hold your breath if even for a couple seconds. Repeat again if necessary. It helps to advise your family and friends of the procedure so anyone can help when you need it. You can always do the Larson maneuver on your own but its helpful to have someone that can talk to you calmly and remind you to hold you breath if possible and breath slowly through your nose. The first one I ever experienced woke me from a dead sleep. My husband heard it and didn't know what was gong on. I thought I was dying, literally. In between trying to take breaths I could squeak out a couple words...I need air, give me air! He thought I meant the bipap....no, it was so bad I was trying to tell him to give me mouth to mouth. I was terrified and desperate to say the least.

I hope this helps.
Carolsue

My brother struggles for air too and it's terrifying for both of us. He does it mostly when eating or drinking but not always. It feels like it goes on forever but it's only seconds. I took a picture of your advice carol sue as the chin tuck does not always work and plan on giving him gentle instructions to try to help him through it. Now I just automatically rub his back and pat him on the back a bit. Like I did my babies.

I go through the same thing, and I agree with everyone. With me it can be caused by saliva, water or any other liquid I drink. It seems it will not end but it all ways does.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back