Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania (PA)
City
Williamsport
My husband has started sweating profusely and his temp is now running at 2 degrees below normal. His ALS started with his speech and swallowing. It is now in his arms and legs. I have to pick him up from the floor or ground, at least once every two weeks because he is stubborn and looses his balance. I feel over the past month the deterioration has picked up speed and I am loosing him. I asked the Dr if he felt it was moving faster too, and he said no, just showing more symptoms. Im worried about the sweating and body temp issue and Im not happy with the Dr Anyone else have sweating and lowered body temp issues?

How is he with eating, drinking, breathing? He could be dehydrated, have an infection, be malnourished...
Falling is only going to speed up his progression -- he needs at least a rollator.
You can always take him to his regular primary care doc if the clinic is not helping. But at the end of the day, he has to have reasons to take care of himself and help you do the same. Where does he stand on this?

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,
He is completely tube fed and has been maintaining his weight for at least the past 4 months. He will occasionally use a cane, but so far is refusing to use the walker. He has a lot of stiffness and severe spasms in his arms, in the mornings until he takes his muscle relaxers. He uses posi flow breathing machine at night and bipap during the day, with suction for excessive saliva build up. Im fairly certain there is no dehydration or malnutrition going on. I have read some posts on this forum where others are having the same problem. I just read to try sage tea 2x a day.

Last edited:
see if he will use a scooter. my husband also would not use anything and kept falling. we bought an inexpensive small scooter and he loved it! he could drive around the house and it could easily be disassembled and put in the car for trips out. his arms were just barely moveable, but he could twist his shoulders to steer if his arms were laying on the handlebar. silly I know, but the scooter is easier to accept for someone proud than a walker or cane. and a cane will not stop a fall anyway. when he finally could not steer he was willing to accept the wheelchair. JUst don't have medicare buy the scooter--or this will affect your wheelchair purchase down the raod.

Hi there!

It's my understanding that people with ALS are very temperature sensitive...Even a degree here and there makes a difference.
My father was having very bad sweats, lower body temp, severe spams, and began severely overheating..The doctor suggested it was anxiety and prescribed him pain meds. At first I was really reluctant because he claimed to have no anxiety. However, after taking the meds he stopped overheating and the sweating has reduced significantly. Still has minor sweating but seriously a dramatic decrease..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back