Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Not that mechanically minded outside cars. I have a very nice padded shower chair with a back and handles. But just has rubber feet. My wife can barely get me back in my wheelchair. Only about 5 steps but feels like 50. Anyone know how to put casters/wheels on the shower chair?

Vince

I just fell off a chair with casters. It broke.

Raising the center of gravity just a couple of inches increases the stresses on the caster exponentially. Casters aren't that strong to begin with. Actually, it's the point of attachment that isn't strong enough.

A purpose-designed utility chair with 5-inch wheels might be a better choice.

Don't do it Vinnie!

Definitely need a purpose built chair - you can get ones that tilt in space.

It's not just the sitting on them, it's being wheeled up and down that really needs a strongly built structure designed for this.

Just get a transfer chair. They are handy for stuff like that.

I used Tracy's rollater. She had gotten past using it, so I replaced the seat with a toilet seat. Wheels already attached...with brakes and swivels and such. Put her in and out of it with hoyer manymany times. Just need to make sure it fits thru the door. Luckily, when we remodeled the bathroom some years earlier, we made the shower door wide and walk-in. Just a thought.

Insurance may cover a rolling, tilting commode/shower chair. The key is to get it for toileting, without reference to the showering utility. If insurance won't cover, the ALS Association has been known to be able to get these for PALS who need them. (Incidentally, I'm imagining a claims adjuster going into panic when you tell them the alternative to covering this expense is putting casters on a chair, which sounds like an accident waiting to happen.)

Vince, do try your local ALS Association, like Dave suggested. They just loaned us a rolling, tilting commode/shower chair yesterday. We also had a shower chair with rubber feet like you have which was no longer working for Frank.

Sharon

Are all these alternatives you all are givi me padded and have arms? My chair says it holds 300lbs. I absolutely love it, so comfortable. I'm only 140. I don't understand why wheels are dangerous?.?

Vince

It is not wheels in themselves it's having wheels that are structurally up to the job. Nice and sturdy with breaks on them.
My chair is nice and padded and has padded arms. It has tilt and recline and works over the shower bidet, the wheels on it are large and chunky, not casters! I don't think that would be safe. If one broke you would end up being tipped onto the bathroom floor, really not a good idea.

Wendy

Vince,

I was going to write just about what Wendy wrote.

She said it well.

Steve

VA will send you a rolling shower/ commode chair

Steph, don't think Vince is a vet. Vince, what is the model? We can probably find one equivalent with casters.

Vince
The freeway T40 and freeway T80 are both padded comfy chairs. My O.T provided the T80 as it's got recline function which has proved very useful for showering. There is a choice of seat widths too we went for the wide 21" seat to help with getting the sling on and off.

There are lots of others out there, and the freeways are not cheap but I am getting on very well with it, it has made the bathroom visits so much easier.

Wendy

Sorry got confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back