Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
California
City
Pomona
I got my ALS Dx in August 2006. At the time my symptoms first cropped up, I experienced several severe and extensive rashes over a two year period. I've just been diagnosed with microscopic colitis - which could be an immune system disease. What are the latest thoughts about the immune component of ALS? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Your post kind of shocked me. DH has an appt in two weeks and I was going to bring up his rashes. They don't come consistently, he's probably had 4-5 rashes in a six month period. Not raised bumps, but bright red, fire hot splotches all over his body. He will feel on fire and it just spreads all over... his back, arms, neck, legs...

Is this what yours does?

I have a rash all over my back. I have been diagnosed with polymyositis, but fear the diagnosis is als because of the atrophy and twitching and progression which doesn't happen with poly. Are you having symptoms of colitis? I have read research that describes als symptoms related to celiac disease in which the patient didn't know they had celiac. Treatment stopped progression. Just thoughts.

I would look at other diseases very hard. I haven't heard of ALS causing rashes. It's either something with ALS or something else. Celiac, some type of bacteria or viral infenction, also lyme disease is known for rashes...i have no clue, but wouldn't rest just on ALS. Your symptoms are screaming something else, i wouldn't sit and wait.

Can microscopic colitis be associated with symptoms other than diarrhea or abdominal pain?
Because microscopic colitis is a chronic inflammatory syndrome associated with production by the immune system of chemical mediators that circulate in the blood, patients with microscopic colitis often experience fatigue, joint pains, muscle aches and fibromyalgia, and even fever is possible. Because the genes involved also predispose to other autoimmune syndromes, such diseases (like arthritis, thyroid disease, etc.) do occur in patients with microscopic colitis. If gluten sensitivity is present, many additional abdominal and other symptoms may be present.

I just copied this from a website.
I don't know what your symtoms of ALS are by I would definately look into the immune thing.
maybe your diagnose is wrong....
wouldn't that be great!

crystalkk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back