Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
I have another frog in my throat, right below the Adam's apple. I can't cough so it is difficult to dislodge. I had one in the middle of the night last night, but it finally went away this morning -- did I swallow it? Now I have another one in the same place. The suction machine wand doesn't go down far enough to reach it. I've been drinking (through feeding tube) pineapple juice, hoping to thin it so it slides down. I've never gotten the knack of the cough assist so that's no help. Any ideas how to dislodge this thing?

Bill

A dose of an expectorant cough medicine (main ingredient gaufenesin) does a quick job on loosening mucus to make it managable. Works taken by mouth or through a feeding tube. It should be in every ALS patient medicine cabinet. Robitussin has a brand. Walmart sells generic gaufenesin for less and it works just as well.

Diane, it's loose/thin, but I can't get it out of my throats because I can't cough. �� Billi

Would it help to get some training with the cough Machine? We had to experiment quite a bit and so I felt like it was working. Now it is a real blessing when I get something that feels Stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back