Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
When I first got on this site, I read the posts on the, "Do I have ALS?".

I found that reading these posts made me angry because most have symptoms that could be other illnesses or nothing to really worry about. There is a lot with anxiety issues.

These people have a right to post on this forum, but it is difficult for me to read and have any empathy. I, therefore, found it best not to read the posts/threads on this site to alleviate the stress I was feeling.
The CALS are very helpful in their responses to these people.

Just my two cents worth.

Hugs,
Deb

Hi Deb,

Nothing is fair about this disease. I'm having a hard time going to local support meetings because they are being monopolized by two or three CALS who have lost PALS. Some of our PALS have a very hard time communicating yet we have to listen to CALS whose PALS never attended a support meeting ask questions about research and symptoms but offer no help or support to us or to other CALS who are there with their PALS. They're trying to find closure but it is hurting our group. We have a grief support group for CALS who have lost loved ones but they continue to come to our precious two-hour a month meetings and ask questions, sometimes cutting off bulbar-onset PALS. I found out that our meetings are all about numbers, not people. "The more, the merrier" is what our rep said.

One PALS brought 10 people with him. Nobody else had the chance to talk. A late-stage PALS came in and had nowhere to park his chair because the room was packed with the 10 support people making jokes and inappropriate comments. Their PALS was just diagnosed and looks and feels great. That PALS ended up calling me the following week because HE needed questions answered.

When I felt better, I participated more in the DIHALS threads because I knew how scared I was. On good days, I try to make a contribution because some of them end up coming back (like me) and you never know 100% who that will be. I did a lot of searches here before I was diagnosed and it helped me get SSDI in two weeks, helped me know when it was time to move, helped me know when to get a van/chair, and many, many other things. I did all that BEFORE I got diagnosed because I knew something was very wrong with my body and I was pretty sure it was ALS. I was right.

Now, I still have mixed feelings about reading the DIHALS threads because it feels like I might be able to help someone with their anxiety because I've been there with anxiety long before ALS. Sometimes I feel like being mean to the persistent ones who have had multiple clean EMGs so I just stop reading.

I was caregiver to both my parents and they both suffered. They didn't have hospice. They had me. I grew up in a small town and when someone got sick, the family just took care of them. We had one doctor and he made house calls. When I moved to Florida I was so healthy for so many years I didn't even know about Hospice. Both my parents would have qualified and my life would have been easier. I learned so much here and continue to learn. I thank God every day for the CALS who stay here when they could be off living their lives ALS free.

The bottom line is this disease has made me hyper-sensitive. I feel more deeply about everything, both good and bad.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience at support group Kim. It's such a valuable resource for PALS and it sounds like it's being poorly managed. When my dad passed I reached out to our group coordinator to ask the protocol and was told that CALS no longer attend at point. It makes a lot of sense and maybe they need their own support group as the topics will be very different.

I read the DIHALS subforum only to watch the threads of those who have a serious potential of being diagnosed with MND. Fortunately, there are few such posts, but unfortunately, there are some.

I don't believe I have ever replied to a DIHALS post, but may start doing so. If I do post, I will limit my responses to the unfortunate few who seem to be on a path to an MND diagnosis.

I think the DIHALS subform serves a very useful purpose. There are people who are needlessly afraid, often for reasons caused by mental health issues they have little control over. I am in awe of the people here who provide such restrained and helpful responses.

I think it is wonderful that we have a subform where typical DIHALS posters can air their medical anxiety. It keeps those folks from cluttering up the other subforums.

Steve

When I first came to this forum, I was in a bit of a state. I had experienced disbelief from my GP, who figured I was depressed and it was causing fatigue/anxiety. While I did have some compelling physical symptoms that caused some medical folks to be worried and refer me onward and upward, I KNOW I came across as a basket case in the DIHALS forum.

I had the tremendous good fortune to also have been referred to a psychiatrist who specialized in people suffering with somatoform disorders- and who provided me outstanding care and reassurance. He was the one who broke it to me that while he'd love to tell me it's all in my head, it was not. He still supports me by being the physician that coordinates my medical care still, all while also helping me deal with a seriously life limiting condition. My subsequent diagnosis of UMN/MND after having seen 3 different neurologists to rule out other genetic and inflammatory diseases, was a relief because finally I knew what I was dealing with. I will tell anyone who listens that there is no shame in speaking with a mental health professional.

It is unlikely my condition is one I will die OF, but one I will die WITH. As I am not currently dealing with all the things many here are struggling with, I feel it's appropriate to help as best I can by helping address the concerns of the many people who come here with questions and who are absolutely convinced they have ALS. I do not try to deal with the ones who actually may have MND. As I understand those who experience health anxiety, I try to stick to helping those people as best I can.

I can only imagine how enraging it must be for people with ALS who are confronting grief, loss and fear to see people INSISTING they have a terminal disease because their fingers are twitching. The sheer selfishness and entitlement of the anxiety ridden in insisting people struggling with ALS owe them reassurance and support is mind boggling.

Last edited:
I'm new here (just diagnosed a week ago today). I started out pre-diagnosis posting on the Do I Have ALS board after I found out my symptoms were neurological (from an initial EMG). It was the first time I realized my voice/speech/swallow issues were related to my hand weakness. I had had no idea they were connected or that they were neurological before that appointment. When I got home I googled it and saw my symptoms closely matched ALS, including in some eerie ways, for example I had developed embarrassing, uncontrollable bouts of laughter and that showed up as a symptom too.

Anyway, since being diagnosed I have not been able to go back and read posts there. It's hard to explain, but seeing other posts sound nothing like my experience, and realizing how that is because mine is the real thing...it just makes this all feel more real and I start to feel my panic rise. I know intellectually that this is real, but somehow those moments when I let it sink in emotionally are terrifying and I try to avoid them. And for whatever reason, those posts trigger that.

I'm new here (just diagnosed a week ago today). I started out pre-diagnosis posting on the Do I Have ALS board after I found out my symptoms were neurological (from an initial EMG). It was the first time I realized my voice/speech/swallow issues were related to my hand weakness. I had had no idea they were connected or that they were neurological before that appointment. When I got home I googled it and saw my symptoms closely matched ALS, including in some eerie ways, for example I had developed embarrassing, uncontrollable bouts of laughter and that showed up as a symptom too.

Anyway, since being diagnosed I have not been able to go back and read posts there. It's hard to explain, but seeing other posts sound nothing like my experience, and realizing how that is because mine is the real thing...it just makes this all feel more real and I start to feel my panic rise. I know intellectually that this is real, but somehow those moments when I let it sink in emotionally are terrifying and I try to avoid them. And for whatever reason, those posts trigger that.

I understand where you are coming from. I think I was prepared for ALS because I believed I had it a year before I was diagnosed. I didn't even Google the symptoms. I found this forum after my first dirty EMG but I knew it a year before that.

Even though I was prepared, every day is still a shock for me. Sometimes I think it's all a nightmare or a huge mistake.

I started on the DIHALS subforum also, when I was working really, really hard to convince myself I was bonkers because I feared my husband had ALS. I went back and read those posts recently. A big difference between what I was posting and what you often see is how much I was trying to make it NOT sound like ALS.

I am sorry to hear of support meetings for PALS wrecked by CALS. They really do need to be different things, I think. I want to always remember even here that CALS or not, I personally have something that no one with ALS (or virtually no one) has , the possibility of being alive 30 years from now. I am also about 99% sure I will be able to walk anywhere I like in six months, and that's another luxury PALS don't have.

Well said Kim. I admire your amazing strength.

I struggled with symptoms for about 3 years before getting diagnosed June 2015. I would have loved to have posted on the DIHALS site as I searched for answers during that stressful time. Because we PALS struggle everyday with ALS, I try to live my final days, hopefully years, as stress free as I can. I don't talk or read anything about politics, and I can no longer read the DIHALS site. I guess what I am trying to convey is that I have no control of what is going on with my shell of a body, but I do have control of some things that causes me stress, and I have to avoid anything that does.

My ALS meetings have a combo of PALS and CALS too. The CALS are very respectful at the meetings, and have been very helpful in the struggles we have in getting the care we need. I'm the jokester of the group. I didn't mean to be, but it's just how I am. Like my finger is completely bent. I showed the group and told them that I think it got this way from playing too much Candy Crush. I told them my family was checking into sending me to a Candy Crush intervention program if I didn't quit. I've, also, shown them my new slippers that plug into a USB port, and my feet are kept warm while I play Candy Crush (the slippers are shaped like S'Mores with a happy face on them). Then I get into the loss of the month due to ALS. I always seem to lose something because I am progressing fast. This is how the ALS meetings should be. Everyone should have a chance to speak, cry, laugh, and share. I hope things get better at your meetings, Kim.

Hugs,
Deb

While I did have some compelling physical symptoms that caused some medical folks to be worried and refer me onward and upward, I KNOW I came across as a basket case in the DIHALS forum.

I can only imagine how enraging it must be for people with ALS who are confronting grief, loss and fear to see people INSISTING they have a terminal disease because their fingers are twitching. The sheer selfishness and entitlement of the anxiety ridden in insisting people struggling with ALS owe them reassurance and support is mind boggling.

My mother... and I'm sure most everyone else's mother... always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything".

I guess kind of my point here is, just like Shiftkicker stated... 'I know I came across as a basket case'.
But, in fact, she actually had a MND.

The first actual neurologist I saw told me that I had 'Abulia', and that all of my 'perceived' problems were related to anxiety.
All of my problems were caused by a complete lack of motivation to actually initiate any actions or thoughts.
He then prescribed Prozac.

9 months later I was diagnosed with ALS.
Now, as ignorant as human emotion is, I actually felt more vindicated than concerned.
Of course this went away very quickly, but what a sad thing to even enter into someone's mind.

All of the people (excepting for perhaps a few trolls) on the DIHALS board are sincerely concerned about what, to them, is possibly the beginning of the end of their lives as they now know it.
Of course these people want to hear that they are ok, but this is sometimes very hard to accept when our minds are convinced otherwise.
Sometimes it is difficult to see reason even when we want very badly to.

I see some very rude comments made to many of these people, by people on this forum, that are completely unnecessary.
(Please... I am not talking about any one person, just something that I see a lot)

These comments are not helpful to anyone.

I agree that it can be very frustrating to watch people who are terrified by a small twitch in their lip, and who won't listen to reasoning of any kind.

But, to me, If this is frustrating... then simple quit reading about it.
Basically, if we have nothing good (or useful) to say, then we should just quit reading the posts.

Once advice is given and clearly not received, it is time to move on.
Though some of these people pretty obviously are just suffering from anxiety, who really actually knows about most of them?
I would venture to say that even the doctors don't really know, as was the case with my first Neurologist.

Just as Shiftkicker said, if I had come here with my first noticeable symptoms I would doubtless have been mocked and chased away.
Aphasia, living in a fog, cramps, perceived weakness and fatigue all over, a lack of motivation, and, oh yes, a tiny twitch in the thumb muscle in the heel of my left hand.

I agree on not making rude comments. I do think thought that anxiety does not excuse all and some people have gotten extensive and kind replies and just keep coming. We reach a point where the poster either needs to deal with their anxiety, or have a Doctor sort it out, or both. So Members get impatient, sometimes too much so no doubt.

Speaking as a non-medic, I think that there is a difference between a list of complaints and a list of symptoms of a disease.

I'll use an extreme example to make my point: A person might say they have "infected finger, headaches, and shortness of breath" and a few weeks later be diagnosed with ALS. But that does not mean that those three disparate complaints are "symptoms of ALS."

Too many websites, even professional medical websites, will list everything that 100 new onset PALS complained about and then the general public will be convinced that they have ALS because a few of the items on the list match their experience. This is neither logical, scientific, nor good troubleshooting.

A person might come to our site, list some things that we know to be not a case for ALS, and then come back months later to say "I've been diagnosed with ALS. See. You all should have listened to me." I say no, not at all. Sometimes people with non-ALS symptoms in January will be diagnosed in July and their list of "symptoms" really had nothing to do with the diagnosis.

We must not lose our ability to recognize the difference between a list of ALS symptoms and a list of non-ALS complaints.

We should be nice, certainly upon greeting a newbie DIHALS. But sometimes a persistent DIHALS would benefit from the kind of coaching you might get in Marine boot camp, or even a KITA. If it moves them toward getting a proper diagnosis, then it works for me.

It's a difficult area, if I am low because of frustration and anger with this disease I avoid the DIHALS area as I don't want to be inadvertently unkind to people who are struggling. If I am ok and I think I can contribute something I will answer a thread. I try very hard to avoid being dismissive or negative and if I feel the thread is leading me in that direction I duck out.

At the end of the day this is a forum where people's personal opinions are being sought. Everyone has a different vocal and written style and sometimes things can either touch a sore spot or trigger negative responses. We have enough to deal with with this illness without upsetting ourselves unnecessarily, or beating ourselves up.

If the dihals make you sad don't read.

The awful thing is the hardest ones are the ones where you think uh oh, they might have this! Those are actually the most difficult to answer even though they need the support the most. In quite a few cases I just couldn't find the words.........

Wendy

I think non professional people should not be giving opinions on life and death matters. I was medically trained for thirty eight years but that doesn't make me a medical professional by any stretch on the imagination. I would never give a yes, no or maybe on a subject that even highly trained professionals have trouble with.
Just my opinion.
Al

I think non professional people should not be giving opinions on life and death matters. I was medically trained for thirty eight years but that doesn't make me a medical professional by any stretch on the imagination. I would never give a yes, no or maybe on a subject that even highly trained professionals have trouble with.
Just my opinion.
Al

I see what you mean, but I also think there is merit to giving an educated opinion. From my experience on that board I did not see anyone saying yes or no, usually it was "that sounds concerning, follow up with your doctor" or "that doesn't sound like ALS but if you have concerns see your doctor to discuss." In any case the recommendation is to discuss with a qualified medical professional, but it does give people a slightly more clear context in which to frame their concerns by getting some feedback from someone who has experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back