Shower question- how small is too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diagnosed2016

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
California
We have a small bathroom that we are planning to renovate soon. It has a 36" corner shower right now but has a threshold that is getting a little precarious and I want to get a safer option as soon as possible. We don't have room for a full 60x32 roll in. I can knock down a wall to gain 2 feet but that's it so not sure if it's worth expense. What is the smallest size we can get away with and make it work? (Even though it wouldn't be ideal). My husband is currently still walking on his own with a cane so we aren't used to the size or needs of a wheelchair yet. Moving isn't an option, so please don't suggest it

I would talk to your contractor. They usually have great ideas given the space. Some people have made a wet room where the bathroom is totally open. The shower and drain are to one side or in the middle a wall mounted or pedestal sink, etc

Drains in the floor can be of the usual round type or a horizontal cut however long you need. As long as it is tiled you end up with a pretty good flat floor. If you go this route, look for an outdoor tile for grip.

If you are a veteran they will have people to help. Otherwise I would try to find a eeputable contractor that has experience doing this type of redesign.

Also I would not do to the floor wood cabinets. There are many options out there but a roll under sink/vanity is really good. The main thin is what materials you choose. Our bathroom was remodeled for my husband and it doesnt look like a handicap bathroom.

Thanks Gooseberry, I've talked to a contractor who had the idea to knock down the wall, but doing some more research yesterday I saw smaller transfer showers and smaller no barrier showers and thought we might be able to get away with a smaller footprint. When I saw the bathroom is small, I mean really small. No matter what we do, turning and maneuvering will be difficult, but so it ALS. I'm thinking that a smaller shower would work as long as it would fit the basic dimensions of a shower chair. Turning in the shower wouldn't be imperative with a handheld showerhead. But again, since we aren't there I am making assumptions

Home Depot has handicap shower inserts that might work. Also with a small bathroom you might want to look at ceiling tracks.

It's not turning in the shower (and you can find the dimensions of shower chairs on many sites), but pivoting to get into it, if it's not straight in from the door.

You do not mention toileting -- is there room to hover over your existing commode in a sling or are you planning to use a freestanding shower/commode chair?

Hi
We had the same problem we had to work with the room we had. We got rid of the shower cubicle and made it a tiny wetroom. The room itself is 5 and 1/2 feet square. While we were waiting for the shower chair Chris was able to push the wheelchair up to the doorway and use a hoist to get me onto the loo. I was worried about whether or not there would be room to manoeuvre but it's fine. Even easier now with the shower chair which is a wide one.

I will try to load some pictures. If they load successfully you will see we haven't put grab rails up as I am beyond that stage now. The sink is roll under, we have a narrow freestanding cupboard that chris just moves outside when it's shower time to stop the toilet roll getting soggy

Wendy

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 264
Thanks Wendy that's really helpful!. Lauri, we haven't gotten that far.... there will be room for a chair beside the toilet and I planned to get a bidet. We will just have to make what we have work because there's no other alternative. I'm leaning towards not knocking down the wall as originally planned- I don't see it improving the footprint enough.

I've changed my mind so many times about the bathroom it is making my contractor crazy. There are so many options but the most important, for me, is to be able to use my toilet and bidet as long as possible. With that in mind I decided to get a ceiling lift installed. My shower will be 4.5 feet wide by 7 feet long and half of it will be open with a low threshold.

That shower sounds amazing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back