Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
My husband just got his "insurance" power wheelchair yesterday. He had been using a Q6 edge loaner. The tech had to elevate the seat in the Edge mechanically because it did not have the elevate function, so it sat high. He now got a the Permobile F3, which he seems to fit in better. We were lucky enough that the insurance paid for both the anterior lift and elevate function on it, as one of his biggest challenges is getting up from a seated position.

One problem now - with all the mechanics on it and the 4 inch cushion, the top of the seat is at almost 23 inches. We renovated our bathroom and installed the higher toilet, toilevator and bidet seat. Even with all that, if he cannot stand up after going (it's hit or miss at this point) he has to "slide uphill" if he needs to use the transfer board.

The only thing we came up with was removing the cushion, transferring, then standing up with the aid of the chair and replacing the cushion. It worked, but was awkward. We are hoping to be able to travel some once we get a van, but doing all this in a public restroom seems daunting.

Suggestions? Should we look at getting a different cushion? I thought I researched the hell out of this and now I'm frustrated - and so is he. Help!

Sorry, Jersey, I'm confused. How is the height of the seat affecting his use of the transfer board, exactly?

As a general comment, if you're in a public restroom, a urinal is often easiest if that does the job. I certainly would not reduce cushion height since enough pressure relief is essential. If the seat-to-floor height is incorrect generally given his leg length and the cushion height, it can certainly be adjusted.

Best,
Laurie

A "Toilevator" can be placed under the toilet to raise it about 4 more inches. It is simple installation for a handyman or plumber, works under a standard or tall toilet, is available for regular or elongated toilets. It doesn't look nearly as bad as a toilet lift that fits on top of the seat, and is sturdy, safer, and far more sanitary. If the height would be too high or low for a level transfer, a handy man or plumber could build a custom height riser under the toilet for you. There is no major plumbing or disruption to the bathroom to be done, and it can be removed when no longer needed. Short people won't like it and he will need a footstool to bring his knees up to the right height for bowel movements. Google Toilevator and comparison shop prices and shipping. For a footstool, google SquattyPotty.

The height of the toilet is lower than the height of the chair when the cushion is on. So to get from the toilet back to the chair (from a seated position) he has to "travel uphill".

And Diane, we do already have the toilevator.

If the height would be too high or low for a level transfer, a handy man or plumber could build a custom height riser under the toilet for you.

Maybe it just needs to be higher then?

I could probably get the toilet at home adjusted, but I am concerned about public restrooms too. I believe that even in handicapped equipped restrooms, the toilets are at around 18".

Good point about public restrooms - a urinal may be the safer option. I know it's not the option you wanted (or that your PALS wanted).

And a real problem for a bowel movement.

Yes a real problem for bowels.

Many PALS specifically time when they will go out around their bowels, some even to the point of ensuring an evacuation before leaving home.

That is truly odd.
I have an f3 with Roho seat and the 'toilevator' combined with the 'comfort heights' toilet was perfect.

I can no longer xfer so we had the toilevator removed and now simply use the hoyer.

Jersey, while he is still able to use the transfer board, if you use a public restroom, you could bring your own air overlay cushion (doughnut or horseshoe) for the toilet seat, to equalize the height. But it would be difficult. Overall, I think most people in that stage would use the urinal (the UriBag is well-suited for travel) and as Tillie says try to avoid bowel movements when out.

For those with anterior tilt on their chairs, it is also possible the CALS could slide a bedpan beneath while seated but esp. on something like a Roho cushion, that has its own considerable drawbacks.

Anyway, you didn't do anything incorrect, I'm sure. People have different leg lengths and the height of their chairs has to match.

Greg - The cushion on his chair is about 4 inches. It's only slightly higher, but it is an uphill transfer. I am going to see if there is one better suited that would give the same support. The other option I saw was a roho cushion for the toilet seat. I'd have to investigate if this would interfere with the bidet seat - which has been a godsend!

As for travel, I wracked my brain and think I have come up with a solution!!! We were given a folding bedside commode that can go to a height of 22.5". I think it will work once I have figured out how to use the transfer board to get around the arms. Here is the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUNNJ7_ULPU

I saw a video using a beasy board to transfer around stationary arms. Has anyone used one? They're somewhat expensive and non-returnable.

I tried posting earlier, but don't think it worked - because of a youtube link? Not sure.

Anyway, Greg - his cushion is about 4" thick. It's just slightly higher than the toilet. But it's an "uphill" transfer. We were able to do it this morning, but I may still look into a different cushion. He does not have a roho, but a gel cushion.

I think I may have come up with a solution for travelling! We were given a folding bedside commode. The legs adjust, so I can bring it up to 22.5", again, just slightly lower than the chair, but I think we can make it work. I'll lug it into public restrooms if necessary. The commode chair has arms, though, so I just ordered the curved beasy board which says it works for chairs with stationary arms.

Has anyone had any experience with the beasy board?

Fingers crossed!

I'm a little confused - where you say for travelling, are you talking about hotel room bathrooms or public rest rooms?

What I mean is if you go to a shopping centre you can't really lug a folding commode chair around. You could however take it travelling and bring into a motel room.

I hope that solution works for you for some time. Sadly it is temporary as transferring this way will need to be replaced by a hoist at some point and the height difference won't be an issue any longer. I hope for a long time of being able to transfer for your PALS of course!

Tillie - I'm really talking about hotel rooms or turnpike restrooms if were going to/from someplace. We'd like to do some trips while he is still able. Our oldest is graduating from college and we will have a 7 hour drive. (The vision of me carrying the commode chair thru the mall gave me a chuckle, though!)

We do have a hoyer for when the time comes. And I also hope that he can continue to transfer for a while.

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back