Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
Do any PALS with a drop foot suffer from swelling of that foot? I no longer walk so it's not from overuse. I also have normal blood pressure, so that's not a contributing factor. I try to always keep it elevated, but that doesn't seem to help. The hospice doctor is scratching her head. It's been swollen for months. Thoughts? Bill

Elevation, foot and calf massage help.

I get the most relief from elevating it in bed for many many hours When it's bad.
Also, 45 minutes in the swimming pool works the best

Definitely, have Larry or whoever massage the fluid upward; even if the foot itself is too tender, going from ankle up through calf may help. Do you wear pressure boots at night as your legs are elevated? If not, something to try.

Is the swelling area firm or is it "boggy?"

I haved the same problem. My foot is still swollen from 6 was ago when I broke it. It gets better when I elevate it but by end of day it swells up. My right foot is fine. I haven't tried massage but will give that a try. I have drop foot in both feet and do aquatherapy 3 to 4 times a week.

O my goodness I was just going to post the same problem Bill. I have drop foot on both of my feet however one of the feet is worse. I wear the AVO braces on both and one of my docs says that is the problem (due to compression). They would like me to try compression stocking at night and see how that works (I don't like them :). W/o the compression stockings my feet seem to go to normal after a night of sleep more often than not. I am curious to see what everyone thinks. Lorrie

Me too, seems like there are a few of us!
Laurie what do you mean by boggy. When I push on the top of my foot the skin goes in and forms a dimple, it takes ages to smooth out, is that it.
I can be in bed all day with the foot elevated and it's still swollen, massages helps but within a short while it puff up again.

Wendy

Yep. Poor circulation

Elevation and compression socks

Yes, I mean mushy with the dimple, as you say, Wendy. Try not to push on that part as you can damage it, but use the rest around it for massage upward. The sole of the foot through the underside of the calf is good.

My husband had this swelling also and didn't like compression socks. Medicare paid for Devon Medical compression boots and the CircuFlo pump. We put them on twice a day for an hour each time....they are the only therapy he actually asks for. These along with keeping the feet elevated whenever possible have really helped.

There is more to reducing swollen feet than just elevating them. How you elevate them is important, the height of wheelchair footrests, the distance from the seat of your favorite chair to the floor, compression hose during the day, lace up shoes not slippers, elevating the foot of your bed -- and diuretics as a LAST resort. Go to
ALS From Both Sides: Swollen Feet
to learn about the really bad results of not making the changes necessary to keep swelling down and the "how to's" of doing it.

Former Blue Footed Booby, Diane

Those pumps are so much safer than someone who isn't sure how to massage when there is any pitting happening. If swelling is severe and pitting it is so easy to damage the tissues.

That's fantastic Kate that medicare paid for this, well worth checking Bill.

Yep, I got it too. Sometimes my are purple!

I use braces everyday which really help with transfers in and out of pwc. I must go really slow and consciencely as both feet drop when I transfer. After a night in bed in the morning they are looking good then by end of day when shoes and braces come off their big.

I have been trying acupuncture and I am believing there is some change in my feet.
Also at night my right foot always is freezes and left is warmer.
Just another page in the nightmare.
Love ya all chally

I do not have foot drop but I do have swollen and sometimes purple feet. Have not found anything that works yet.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back