USA
City
L.C
Hey Kim...
I feel like my time is up here.

Last edited:
Re: PALS wants to go to Mt Rushmore

Arlee,
You're having a rough patch. Everyone does. No need to leave.

Remember that this website is designed to be a safe place for PALS. You wouldn't want someone posting WICCA or militant Anti-Theism or other things that you consider offensive, would you? Well, not everybody is a Christian. Many of us are going through rough times, too, considering their own mortality and maybe examining their lives. So we ask that a person's personal spiritual beliefs not be mingled in the rest of the posts.

There is a wonderful place for religious people to share their beliefs and discuss them as much as you want. Please confine any extensive Psalms or other religious posting to the religious forum.

A little "God Bless You" or "You're In My Prayers" has never been a problem, but anything more extensive than that should go in the religion subforum.

I hope you understand that you're welcome and invited here. We need everyone to follow the rules so we can maintain our safe space for everyone.

BY THE WAY: notice that my paragraphs are short. That makes it easier for PALS to read. That's what we're asking for when we say keep it short.

Ah Arlee
Please don't feel your time is up here, I was just enjoying reading your posts and getting to know you.

It can take a while to settle but we are all nice really, because of what we are going through it can be easy for people to be a bit sensitive at times so things like religion can be difficult for some and having a separate forum just eases that tension. Everyone's beliefs are valid, I don't post on the religion subforum but I do read it and take great comfort from it at times so it will be nice to see you posting there.

Give us a bit longer we will grow on you I promise.

Wendy x

And yes the x is a kiss not my name as you asked in an earlier post.

Arlee, I don't think anyone wants you to leave.

Everyone is welcome here but all places have rules. It is nothing against religion. They just want to make sure this is a place that everyone can enjoy. That's why they have a place for religion.

Please give it some time. This forum is full of a great bunch of people that I don't know what I would do without.

Moderator note:

Arlee, I have moved your discussion to its own thread. While it may seem a bit overboard to you, the original post was about someone wanting to visit Mt Rushmore. It's important that people continue this discussion, but it is also important for the post about visiting Mt Rushmore continue to be a discussion about that and not have it go off topic.

Sometimes forum rules can seem arbitrary or punitive, but they have been developed over the years based on the experiences and expertise of many people before us.

Arlee,
I'm newbie-ish here too....
Please give this group of people a shot. I just became a member, but have been reading posts for over a year now.
I have seen such caring and compassion... I can only think that you would be an added benefit to all.

Just my opinion.

Angie

Arlee, please dont leave here due to religion. A few months back I was very upset over something said against faith. It caused me to leave for a few days. I regretted it. We dont all have the same beliefs here... but what we do have is very warm and supportive group for CALS and PALS.

You will never be judged for your beliefs or anything you say here. This wonderful group of people have helped my husband and I through every stage, trial, question and breakdown. We recieve no better care anywhere else.

Compassion breaks all barriers. You are so very welcome here and you will find peoplw who share your faith and those who don't. I can attest that the support isn't any different. Hugs, warm wishes and God bless.

Encouraging someone with a bit of faith is fine but a long discourse can be taken as an unwanted sermon.

I've found this meme to be both amusing and sadly accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 175
Arlee,

I am a Christian, and am not shy about communicating that in various threads when it is appropriate. However, I limit discussions about my religious beliefs to the Religion subforum, where such threads are welcome.

This has worked out well for me for over 2 years. I do not in any way feel limited, judged, or persecuted for my beliefs on this forum. Instead, I have found great encouragement along with an amazing amount of useful information and support.

There are many here who have different religious beliefs. That is their right and I believe they should feel as free as I do to pursue their beliefs.

I encourage you to stick around. This is great place because of the people that participate. You could make it even better with your participation. While you will receive much by participating, you will give more than you know.

Steve

Arlee, I don't know what you said that got your post moved, but if you're sensing there is some censorship being practiced by the forum moderators, you're not alone. The moderators should, of course, do what is necessary to make people feel welcome here regardless of their religious or political beliefs, but they should not make people feel unwelcome by moving their posts to a separate room just because they expressed a religious belief. My wife, who was a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, was invited to speak to an 8th grade religion class, and she not only thanked them for their prayers, but she explained to them that it has been scientifically proven that people heal faster when they know others are praying for them. It would be nice to see that kind of positivity and acceptance from the forum moderators here.

I once wrote in a post here about an experience that proved to me that we should have reverence for human life, and a forum moderator improperly jumped to the conclusion that I was bible-thumping and moved my post to the religion section, where I have no place. I objected to the censorship, and the post was eventually returned, grudgingly, to the general discussion group. Yet, for their occasional lack of restraint, the moderators here are all very well-meaning and put in a lot of hours helping the ALS community, so if they cross the line, we just have to forgive and forget. There might even be a lesson in the bible about that. :)

This is NOT a rant! Just my view. I DO NOT want to offend anyone.
I myself have never found the small religious comments to be offensive. But, I get it and it's very simple.
Religion goes in the religion area and ALS in the ALS area.

I'm an atheist and I'm not sharing my beliefs in every post. In fact, I've never shared this in the forum. So, surprise!
In fact I wouldn't want to. How would I know if I'm talking to a Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, etc. All different beliefs. So why would anyone assume that everyone is a Christian? Why the advertisement? Many posts begin with "I'm a Christian". Exactly what does that tell me?
I don't find it beneficial or necessary that I advertise my beliefs in an ALS forum.
I also have enough common sense to know that people have different beliefs and mine might offend someone. So I don't debate or talk about religion, very often. Hey, I'm a PALS also.

Everyone should be grateful for the religion section on this forum.

Last edited:
People shouldn't be made to feel segregated just because they reveal their religious beliefs in a support group. The vast majority of clinicians believe that discussing religious and spiritual views is valuable to the therapeutic process. (Oxhandler, Parrish, Torres & Achenbaum, 2015). I imagine this is even more important when facing the profound issues surrounding ALS. It is sad that people are afraid to discuss their religious beliefs in an online support group. If we want to support each other, we shouldn't be telling PALS to take their religious beliefs elsewhere. The question isn't whether it helps me to know someone's religion, but whether it helps them to know I won't judge them for revealing their faith (or lack thereof) to me in a support group setting.

Dave, no one has to "take beliefs elsewhere," just that posts that are primarily about religion and not ALS go into the Religion subforum. PALS often find it hard to read, so we want them to be able to know that what they'll be reading is about ALS if they choose, or religion if they choose. Key word: their choice.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back