Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
US
State
USA
City
L.C
First I am totally amazed by everything in the forum. In the past hour or so I have cried and laughed and realized we all have a lot in common. Not just ALS, but emotions and stories, support and heartache and more.

I was diagnosed in November of 2016. Originally the thoughts being passed around by my medical peeps was a mini stroke. Hey I could live with that! I thought with Gods Blessings and a good PT I would be back in the saddle again in no time! Well...I ended up in the hospital with what started out as a pimple mark on my cheek, that the Nurse said she could fix, with a knife. Yep I said nurse but she had a helper, a tech. Next morning I woke up looking like Shreks cousin with one eye. Well I beat the "Nurse" to work that next morning and when the Dr saw it she said (real Dr) you need to go to the ER or you could lose your eye...I guess you can imagine where I was heading about 30 seconds later.

So on the 3rd day of being in the hospital talking about major face surgery this young lady comes in and says I need to walk with her, PT Girl, no problem. She asked me why I was walking with a limp. I said I don't know. I woke up one morning a couple of months ago and my arm and leg was asleep, but they never woke up. She didnt laugh a bit when I told her they were just really tired.

She then sent her friend the OT to see me. After touching my nose and pulling my arms and rolling my muscles, she asks me to touch my pinky and thumb together. Left hand no problem, Right hand I needed super glue to get them to touch. She said that could be a problem. I said "yeah right" I look like Shreks cousin and was going into major surgery and me not touching my pinky finger to my thumb was a problem...

That my new friends was the trigger point that set me on my course to being diagnosed with ALS. After seeing 2 Neuros, my PC said that he was concerned that I may have a very exotic or possibly a very rare condition, so he sent me to the University of Florida hospital (shands) . He is the best Dr. He made it sound so exciting that I actually wanted to go to the University of Fl.

Once there, they took so many MRI's and blood I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the diagnosis part. One day they took so much blood I ran dry? Yep 3 sticks later I was told to drink a lot of water and come back the next day. Whats that old saying "the well ran dry" S

o when the dust cleared and the tests were done and the results were back, that's when the Dr told me. I still didn't really believe him. Both of my Doctors there are not just Doctors but Professors. Neurology Professors. So when I asked him if maybe I should go to the Mayo Place he said who do you think taught them? He's such a cool Doctor.

Wow I just realized I have really been babbling. I came here to the ALS Forum looking for help to a serious problem. I was mad as a wet hornet because for the umpteenth time UPS will not deliver my packages because I cant get to the door fast enough. A package disappeared a while back they say stolen I say not delivered but it does not matter they wont deliver w/o a signature now and nobody at UPS will do anything. I'm in my chair 80% of the time and when I walk with the walker or cane It is serious slow motion. so I try not to go to the bathroom between 1 and 5PM LOL.

I have done everything to avoid UPS deliveries but some companies are contracted to use them, so I am screwed., and get this my drug company uses those idiots. Don't try to complain, that creature who runs their delivery office, she had the audacity to say there are a lot of disabled people who have no problems signing for their packages. I don't care if she is a girl she needs her nose tweaked! If anyone has any ideas I could use them.

Well the pleasure has been all mine here today and I hope to make a few friends as well. The kind that understand and don't gush all over you... This has been quite an experience so far for me and I am sure the rest of you as well. I guess I could say I would like to write a book about my experience but I will stick to just short stories. I am a procrastinator and books take a long time to write! My first short story will be about when I met Jesus in the MRI booth getting a brain scan with this thing locked around my face and my body slid into a tomb. O M G! Until later

Arlee

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Arlee! Nice to meet you. Sorry it's under these circumstances.

Hello Sooner'
Nice to meet you as well! Circumstances sometimes can be called opportunities! Lets hope. Cleveland Ok sounds like a nice place?

A

It is a nice small town Arlee. My PALS has lived here all of his 53 years. He says he wouldn't anywhere else. I like your sense of humor!

HI Arlee, enjoyed reading your post. Unfortunate to have to welcome you here but nevertheless, welcome to the family!

Regards,
Bruce

Hi Arlee
Welcome to the forum nice to meet you.

With the delivery problems do you have a neighbour or friend who lives nearby that you could use as your delivery address, they could then pop your parcels round to you and would be more patient in waiting for you to get to the door? We quite often take deliveries for our neighbours as they know we are in most of the day.

Wendy x

Small towns are nice, I live in the boonies, 17 miles from the nearest grocery store. The bears are a constant battle and the coyotes fear my name. When we let the dog out someone has to watch her back every minute! A Bear attacked her a few years ago and tried to bite her tail off, I think he was trying to eat her....If your PALS is from there where are you from? BTW, I always envied old people who said whatever was on their mind because they were old...They cracked me up. Now I can sorta say whatever I want. Who's gonna say anything. lol

A

Thank You Bruce, I see we were discovered about the same time...mine was 11/2016 I believe we have quite a journey ahead of us...

A

Hi Wendy, We are very rural, with long driveways. I was hoping I could shame them into changing their evil ways but its not working. But if the med deliveries cant be changed to another delivery service that's exactly what we are going to do! Then I am calling the local TV station and let them do a story. UPS really treat their employees with very little love so hopefully the TV thing will shake them up! Thank you for writing. is Wendy X your name ? or was that a kiss?

Hey Arlee...Nice to meet you but so sorry it has to be here. You sound like you have a fiery personality and it's sounds like you'll give this sucky disease a good run. This is a great group of people. Come here often. You won't be sorry.

Another thought might be a driveway alert system at the entrance to your property. That could have other benefits in that you would be given a little time to prepare for any unexpected visitors not just unpredictable UPS

Hi Arlene, and welcome.

So sorry about your experience with UPS. We live in the sticks and our UPS guy, Maurice, is fabulous. When my mom was here he used to wait for her to get to the door and then bring packages inside for her because he knew she couldn't lift them. Now she's gone and my husband has ALS, and he continues to feel like family. He actually carried in some FedEx packages that had been left onthe the porch!!!!

We should all have a Maurice in our lives!

Oh, and FedEx kept leaving packages at our garage. I had to call and explain that the house was further down the hill...where the ramp leads to a real door. ARGH!

Becky

Thats true...I actually had one and there were so many critters setting it off it drove me bonkers! lol Armadillos, bears, deer, rabbits! I even taped part of the lens off on the eye and it still went nuts. But thank you so much for the suggestion. You sound like a prepared individual!

I like my guy as well...He is just falling orders he said...I told him he was such a good brown shirt! and what is with FedEx and the garage thing? lol They always wanted to leave mine there until I told the 800# I ran over the package! lol

Thank you JLynn...
I know I'm going to try! Im not sure how it will end up, heck if I was a little smarter I could be the next Mr hawking NOT!! I know I have my limits as we all do!
Thank God tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back