Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
soonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nice
soonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nicesoonerwife is just really nice
Default Dry mouth with trilogy

My PALS gets an extremely dry mouth during the night. He has bulbar onset and doesn't take anything by mouth.

Also, he is getting something in his mouth during the night that gags him. He said the trilogy is putting brown stuff in my mouth. I don't think that is what is happening but I don't know what it is?!

Any suggestions on what the brown stuff could be and also what will help with extreme dry mouth if not drinking?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:55 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Yakima
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
bkite has a spectacular aura aboutbkite has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Dry mouth with trilogy

Try increasing his fluid intake. He should be at 80 oz's a day or more. Especially on the ventilator.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:40 PM #3 (permalink)

Also, the Trilogy 100 requires an external humidifier. It should not be used overnight without this. If you don't have the humidifier, ask for a new one with a heated hose. The old style without hose heat is a problem for condensation.

The brown stuff is likely blood from dry cracking gums.

Last edited by bkite : 02-15-2017 at 03:56 PM Reason: add info
Thanks from
soonerwife (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 09/2013
KateEmerson has a spectacular aura aboutKateEmerson has a spectacular aura aboutKateEmerson has a spectacular aura about
City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 09/2013
KateEmerson has a spectacular aura aboutKateEmerson has a spectacular aura aboutKateEmerson has a spectacular aura about

In addition to bkite's key points, I would add a small one that we just started that seems to really help my husband Job with dry mouth. Job is on a trach and vent with humidification 24/7 and since he stopped eating and drinking he has had a real problem with dry mouth and thick " junk" in his mouth. I use a warm wash cloth to clean out his mouth, then put a cold wash cloth with a little water in his mouth and squeeze a little bit in, and lastly I get a few small chips of coconut oil and put them on his tongue to melt to moisten everything. It has surprisingly worked well. I even see a real difference in the morning, his mouth looks moist versus before when it was so dry and even cracking.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KateEmerson For This Useful Post:
azgirl (02-15-2017), bkite (02-15-2017), soonerwife (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM #5 (permalink)

Thanks bkite and Kate! He does have a humidifier attached and we use it every night. He will only let me turn it o n the lowest setting. He says otherwise it is too warm for him.

I think I am going to look for some of those little sponges on a stick. I will also see if he will try the wash cloths and coconut oil.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes we forget about basic mouth care if the person is not eating.

The mouth needs to be cleaned and kept moist - love that coconut oil on the tongue tip!
Closed Thread

Tags
bulbar, bulbar onset, dry mouth, night, onset