Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS gets an extremely dry mouth during the night. He has bulbar onset and doesn't take anything by mouth.

Also, he is getting something in his mouth during the night that gags him. He said the trilogy is putting brown stuff in my mouth. I don't think that is what is happening but I don't know what it is?!

Any suggestions on what the brown stuff could be and also what will help with extreme dry mouth if not drinking?

Try increasing his fluid intake. He should be at 80 oz's a day or more. Especially on the ventilator.

Also, the Trilogy 100 requires an external humidifier. It should not be used overnight without this. If you don't have the humidifier, ask for a new one with a heated hose. The old style without hose heat is a problem for condensation.

The brown stuff is likely blood from dry cracking gums.

Last edited:
In addition to bkite's key points, I would add a small one that we just started that seems to really help my husband Job with dry mouth. Job is on a trach and vent with humidification 24/7 and since he stopped eating and drinking he has had a real problem with dry mouth and thick " junk" in his mouth. I use a warm wash cloth to clean out his mouth, then put a cold wash cloth with a little water in his mouth and squeeze a little bit in, and lastly I get a few small chips of coconut oil and put them on his tongue to melt to moisten everything. It has surprisingly worked well. I even see a real difference in the morning, his mouth looks moist versus before when it was so dry and even cracking.

Thanks bkite and Kate! He does have a humidifier attached and we use it every night. He will only let me turn it o n the lowest setting. He says otherwise it is too warm for him.

I think I am going to look for some of those little sponges on a stick. I will also see if he will try the wash cloths and coconut oil.

Sometimes we forget about basic mouth care if the person is not eating.

The mouth needs to be cleaned and kept moist - love that coconut oil on the tongue tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back