Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS has a full face mask and it is making a sore spot on the bridge of his nose. Any suggestion on what I can do to eliminate that problem?

We used a gel nasal pad. It is reusable. Made by ResMed and called Gecko nasal pad. It worked very well.

If you have not already, test the assumption that he really needs a full face mask-- many, even mouth breathers, do not if the settings are adjusted. That won't fix the bridge but is more comfy generally.

We used NexMed paper tape and other types (Micropore?), bits of lambswool, etc. Gel is a good thought as well.

He had the type that just went in the nose but the air was leaking out his mouth, even with a chin strap. He couldn't get used to it. He really likes the full face mask and sleeps all night with it every night. He has been using it for about a month. I will try the paper tape tonight.

We've graduated to the complete face mask, and Matt loves it (It's the fifth or sixth he's tried).

The RTs kept discouraging him saying he'd not like it, but when I finally pushed the issue and got it he was very happy.

He can even sleep on his side without it leaking.

Oh, I almost forgot to say how much I love it ... no leaks.

The downside--I have to take it off and put it back on for him to take a drink, and he drinks a lot throughout the night.

B

I had bought a silicone pad, but then my PALS respiratory therapist told us they would provide them and sent a gel pad. (So you might want to ask the company that provides his bipap.) Both pads have worked. He likes the full mask also, 24/7, so it's always a challenge keeping all of the skin healthy. Keeping his skin clean with African Black Soap daily, using a blend of 1/2 Lubriderm with 1/ coconut oil on his face daily, and continually washing his 2 masks has helped a lot.

We tried paper tape last night. It didn't work. It also pulled a little skin off this morning I think. UGH! I will ask the RT.

Bob also started with the sore on the bridge of his nose. I would put a folded piece of non stick gauze, covered with a bandaid, and then the gecko nose protector.

I had trouble sometimes getting a good seal with the gecko, but without it the sore nose was a big problem.

Our RT suggested the res med gecko, but I added the gauze and bandaid to protect the sore while healing. Our hospice nurse also provided individual wipes for the sore that promoted healing, but I don't recall the name.

Hugs to you,
Joan

Last edited:
We have used moleskin--like you use to prevent blisters. It works well and doesn't effect the seal. Just be sure to remove gently and slowly to not irritate the skin.
Tracy

Steve has had so many problems with his nose but he will not use any other mask. We use gauze. We cut several into triangles and change them often. We tape them on. Steve uses his bi-pap at night and during the day so its a constant struggle. We have tried so many different materials. I am going to order the Gel pad and see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back