Reason
PALS
Country
Pak
State
Capital
City
Lahore
Hi guys. I was out walking and the thought kinda just floated up. Does it help exercise/build strength and muscle for the limbs that are still okay. I have a slow progressing ALS with hand onset. The idea is, when it starts affecting my legs, and the muscles start getting weak, rest of them can better support me (compensate for the ailing ones) and I can keep my limbs functioning just a bit longer.

What do you guys think?

I think staying in shape is always a good idea. If not over exerting it can do no harm. Just be careful.
Al

I wouldn't lift weights but I would (and did) walk every day and stretch.

The one thing I did, because my doctors advised it, was to gain a bunch of weight. I think my small frame taking on 30 pounds was too much and I think I did it the wrong way (eating carbs.) That is only my opinion. I'm now back to eating healthy and getting enough fat for my brain (good fat) and protein for my muscles.

Be very careful when you workout. Sometimes you do not realize that a muscle is weak until you start overusing it and it doesn't recover or you fall.

Staying in shape, in my opinion, is a very good thing.

If you search, you'll find differing opinions, even amongst the medical community. Some of us want to limit "exercising" t Range of Motion exercises only. I've read there is evidence that pushing your muscles will speed the decline.

I don't think there is any life-extension benefit. No will exercise keep ALS from destroying the nerves (thus, paralyzing the muscle you worked so hard to build up.)

There is a psych benefit to fresh air and light exercise, so nobody is going to poo-poo that.

Exercising like walking, swimming for flexibility, circulation and general conditioning, nothing wrong with that. Exercising repetitively to "build muscle" to the point of exhaustion or "burn," not so much --a risk of speeding progression-- on the basis of available evidence. Because we know hypermetabolism is involved, aerobic exercise wouldn't be my first choice, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back