How long does it take for you to recover after and EMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen73

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atl
My husband has a second opinion appt/first clinic at Emory tomorrow. One of our major concerns in the need to repeat the EMG/Nerve test. He was in a large amount of discomfort for several days after his initial testing. I feel it escalated his symptoms to a degree (although we are now super in tune to every symptom) He normally has a high pain threshold. Is this normal?? Any tips?

Jennifer

People seem to have varying experiences with EMGs. But I have found that if they spend a long time on a particular muscle it will be sore and crampy for a couple of days. I never felt it made any other difference.

The only advice I can offer is try to relax and do not use any form of lotion on an area that might be EMGd

Let us know how it goes

I've had six different doctors do the test. Only felt pain once. The doctor was "learning" at Mayo Clinic. After that I took Tylenol and some anti-anxiety medicine before each test for a couple of times. Never felt any discomfort after that one time at Mayo. The only test I thought really hurt was the lumbar puncture but I was already having pretty bad back spasms when I arrived. I don't think it was the actual needle that hurt but rather the position I was in.

Thank you Nikki and Kim. I am grateful for this community!

In my experience, it hurts more in the muscles that have weakened. Needle insertion is relatively painless in itself for rest of the limbs, you can always communicate with the doctor if the patient feels discomfort.

I have had 4 EMGs with 3 neurologists.

I generally felt OK right after the tests, though some of the muscles they spent extra time on were a bit crampy and sore for a day or two.

When they did the muscle biopsy, they told me that it would take some time (I believe several weeks) for things to recover sufficiently from the EMG for the biopsy to produce meaningful results. In my case, the subject EMG was performed on one side of my body about 1 week before the muscle biopsy was performed on the other side of my body.

I am pretty insensitive to needles. For my first EMG, I did not know that the test involved needles. I was laying on the table almost asleep and felt some tugging on my arm's skin. I asked the doctor if he had applied tape and was pulling on it. He said, no, he had a needle in my arm and was repositioning it (without pulling it all the way out). That was the first I knew that the EMG involved needles! Sometimes ignorance is advantageous:)

When he did my hand, I was very aware that a needle was involved.

Steve

Steve

The more relaxed you are, the less it will hurt. I found that being totally relaxed during an arterial blood gas draw (I've had three) by three different people produced no pain. I expected lots of pain because my dad had COPD and would just about cry when they did ABG on him. He was stressed and it made the pain worse. BTW, both Hopkins and Mayo assured me that taking Xanax or even Valium would not alter the EMG test results.

Thank you all for the input!

So, does Emory question the results of the first EMG? If so there might be a possibility of a diagnosis other than ALS, which is of course, a good thing. As for a recovery period following an EMG: I suffered no ill effects whatsoever from the EMG. However, unlike some forum members, the EMG process itself was very uncomfortable (as in painful!) for me. Glad that I didn't have to go through another. Please let us know of your visit with Emory.

Last edited:
They repeated the EMG because as Dr. Glass put it "they are very subjective". My husband does not have ALS or any progressive neuron disease. They are not sure at this point what is causing his symptoms over the last 8mths but referred us back to our original Neurologist with some recommendations for a spinal tap. This EMG was much less painful he said.

I am very grateful for this forum over the last month of waiting. Thank you all so much for being so gracious. We will look for ways we can be part of finding the cure for each of you.

Jen

I am so happy for you! Best of luck in finding an answer quickly.

Would you mind changing your forum interest to reflect your new status? Other or interested in learning perhaps? It can help reduce unnecessary anxiety among people who are browsing old threads. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Besides a little stinging at the needle sites, no recovery for me.
Marty

I am really happy for you and your family ! ! !

What wonderful news! I am so glad you were able to share that with us!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back