Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
Do any other PALS experience anxiety at night? This past week I have found myself getting very anxious at night. It is not about anything in particular. Although last night I freaked out because I realized that the only way I can get to a sitting position on the side of the bed is with help from my spouse. I was so upset I could no longer do it by myself that I slept in a chair. This was the only time where there was a reason for my anxiety. I'm sleeping in the chair again tonight until we get a side rail tomorrow.

A week ago I started taking 2.5ML of Ativan before bed. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Thoughts?

Bill

Last edited:
Any psychoactive drug can have paradoxical effects. Benzos slow everything down, which some people are sensitive to, and so your "fight or flight" mechanism may be kicking in. Or it may not be the class but Ativan itself. Easy to test --

Steve would get more agitated with fatigue regardless of the time of day. His anxiety always spiked if he was alone.

I can’t speak for others but I definitely have some anxiety issues from time to time. Like you mine started in the bed, once I lost all function in my arms and legs I felt like a fly stuck on fly paper. Just knowing that I was helpless and alone in that bed made me very anxious. Now I’m in the power chair 24\7 with no anxiety problems,. Things that get me anxious now are usually related to being left alone. I have a tobii connected to my cell phone so that I can get help if need be, but on occasion something goes wrong with this setup, knowing that I am helpless and alone makes me feel like my temperature is instantly 10 degrees hotter

Bill, I'm so sorry.

Try a different drug in the same class. Ativan gave me a panic attack years ago. Valium and Xanax mellow me out.

Steve also has anxiety before bed. He always and I do mean always...watches Big Bang in bed to fall asleep. It takes his mind off his breathing and other anxiety issues. I am not saying tv stops it, just letting you know that he does get more anxious at night. The doctor also has him taking a mild dose of Clonazepam, which also helps.

I went thru 4 anti anxiety drugs before stopping on mertazapine.

One of the 4 gave me a series of mini anxiety attacks.

Deb,
I watch several episodes of Frasier before bed. Then I listed to music or Bible on audio and fall asleep that way. I think the CBD and small dose of THC has helped me relax even more as do the heating pads on my back. Still waiting for my low heat pad to arrive. The first one was not right for me.

Thats great Kim. We were able to get medical mj but he won't user it. I am thinking about using it myself to help me sleep. Lol

If you do use it, start low and work up. I wish my brother would use it but he is very stubborn. He sleeps 3-4 hours a night and is 80. He came over for cards this afternoon and looked a little washed out. He said he got up at 1:30 am. He doesn't nap. I have no idea how he functions but he has bad RA and Lupus in remission. I think the CBD oil alone might help him. Can't convince him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back